Why? Just... Why???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Stretched trucks Ride better, the original reason was stretching the cab overs etc.

I would not want to bump docks all week with a stretched out truck. But open deck it would normally not be an issue, I’ve been one place all year where a 300+ Wheelbase would be any issue at all and that was a place in Laredo where you had to pull in and turn around amongst a bunch of dry vans in docks. There was no backing in unless you wanted to stop all that Laredo traffic. They had a hostler who could have taken over I’m sure.

As far as custom trucks go. I love them. I spoke yesterday with a owner/op whose two trucks have been on Big Rig videos. Not one ounce of conceited BS, not one ounce of I am better than your old peeling clear coat Peterbuilt. Just talk about how his air ride really changed the way his truck rode for the better after he installed the ai ride (79 W900) How he used to have a 94 exactly like mine. About the industry, the politics, the shipper we were loading at etc. Gives some hope for someone who is looking to paint their truck and do a few mods to it. His truck worked hard and was in beautiful condition. This man has been trucking 20+ years. He has earned his right to do what he wants when he wants and every right to be proud of it.

I see cars everyday someone has done stuff to and I may not like what they have done but I can always appreciate the hard work that has gone into it. My nephew has a drift car, Every little dime he has goes into the car. On the outside it looks like a big work in progress, one look under the hood or the suspension etc and you see the skill and meticulous attention to detail to the mechanicals, absolutely amazing and to see the car ride and drifted is absolutely amazing. I would never own a drift car but it is his and not mine and I applaud him for his efforts. Once it is painted it will be a sight to see.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    When people say "wheelbase" do they mean center of front axle of truck to center of NEXT axle or rear axle? (3 axle truck)??

feldsforever and BigBob410 Thank this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The center of the drive axles.

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    First time I saw this truck I thought it was hideous. But when you look at the craftsmanship involved, it puts it in a different perspective.

I guess you could say it grew on me Screenshot_20210818-143158~2.png

TokyoJoe, bzinger, Diesel Dave and 5 others Thank this.
  6. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    So not the center of the 1st axle? The space in between the 2 drives(the center)?

Roberts450 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I love these threads. “That guy has a nice truck and I’d never be get around with it so I better bash it on the internet”. We can all agree there are plenty of filthy drivers and filthy trucks so I guess I don’t understand bashing someone for having a nice clean truck. The OP started a similar thread a while ago because a guy had a bunch of lights on his truck. I’m starting to think he may be suffering from some truck envy when he sees these large rides.

Tug Toy, T.Rucker, Geronimo17 and 23 others Thank this.
  8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Correct.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    The freak that drives it is just as hideous.

BigBob410 and Big_D409 Thank this.
  10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    The most important reason to keep your truck wiped down and your tires juiced is for when your buddy snaps a pic when he’s going through other way

93CDD0A3-8C1D-4740-AC54-FFC970A1E974.jpeg

11. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I’d be deathly afraid to slip on the ice around that thing!

Nostalgic, Vampire, Roberts450 and 5 others Thank this.
  12. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Gonna have to call his safety department about his distracted driving.

Roberts450 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.