Why regen so much?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by SKL Trailers, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SKL Trailers

SKL Trailers Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Saskatoon,SK
    I got a brand new 2014 Coronado with a DD 15 engine, while I was setting the truck up with all my stuff it was probably running for 4-5 hours and then the check engine light came on and the regen light, so I did a parked regen, took about 40 mins and all was good, then yesterday I drove it 1000 km's and parked for the night, 8 hours and 45 mins later I was woke up by the truck shutting itself off, I went and looked and the check engine light was on as well as the stop light and regen light, so I started it and did a parked regen again, this time it only took about 15 mins and it was good, do I have to do this every night? it's too cold here to shut it off at night, my Volvo would do a regen itself at night if it needed it, can it be set to do it on it's own, we get -30 celsius temps here all the time in winter and a lot of times the truck runs for a few days if I'm stuck in a storm and the roads closed or whatever, thanks for any help, I can count on one hand how many times I did a parked regen on my Volvo.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    No... that isn't normal. The DD15 is a very clean engine, and you shouldn't have to do a parked regen under at least 100,000 to 150,000 miles. You may have something wrong with the regen system... if there was enough of a pressure difference across the DPF to require burning out the ash, I'd expect it would have done a simple rolling regen on a new truck.

PeterN Thanks this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    one of our new trucks ,Freightliner,was in the shop for a regen issue.

was some sensor to detect if a regen was needed.

wasn't working right and truck would shut down.

when the burn chamber gets old it needs to removed and cleaned.

you'll know when the regens are more frequent. about 150K-200K miles on a Volvo/D13

I've got an older ,09, Volvo. pre DEF

don't want a new one.lol

it does everything by itself. no DEF , just squirts diesel and burns it. all by itself.

good luck to ya.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    The ECM on a DD15 will turn on the Check Engine lite at 300,000 miles with a code of 1625 to let you know it's time to clean the filter. Otherwise you can tell from the frequency of the parked regens. A new truck shouldn't be needing to do that... it could very easily be a bad sensor.

6. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Might be the pressure differential sensor, the one that lets the ECM know its time to run a regeneration cycle. Those seem to be the usual culprit in the DPF systems. It may be giving the ECM mixed signals.

My last truck was a 2011 Volvo with a pre DEF Cummins ISX and it went from running a regen once a day to running them every 150 miles. Now I have a 2011 Volvo with a D13 that uses DEF and those engines don't run regen cycles on the road.

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    we had a truck that couldn't regen when you were driving when it was that cold... the system just couldn't get hot enough to work with the cold wind hitting it, so 1st i would try a parked regen when your done for the day 2nd if the regem isn't running as long as it should you need to get it to the dealer, odds are the dozer injector is going bad

8. SKL Trailers

SKL Trailers Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Saskatoon,SK
    Thanks guy's, I tried to get it looked at in Fargo but with it being Sunday they closed at 3pm today, I will try again tomorrow, trucks running great other than that, just seems to not like to idle for more than about 7 hours, it's noisy compared to the Volvo I had and I liked the Volvo better all around so far, only got about 16 hours of driving time in it so far though, it's starting to grow on me a little, if nothing else it looks good, lol.

[​IMG]

It's kinda funny, all my non truck driver friends think it's older than the Volvo I had, lol, it does have a older look to it I guess.

[​IMG]

At least I had some good roads yesterday to try it out for the first time, haha, I am so done with this winter... it just won't quit.

[​IMG]

9. steelinsteve1

steelinsteve1 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Beautiful truck by the way. I have heard that the DD15 is a good engine, I just don't understand them yet and the complexity puts me off; I still have love for the Series 60 I guess. Do you have an APU? It seems that all the current generation engines have no tolerance for excessive idling ( all OEMs ) and my thought would be to have an APU keep the engine and cab warm.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Any updates .......... Have heard that the new DD were the best of the new ( I won't say it) .

Please say they got you right in ,and fixed it in one try........

That is a nice looking truck...wish you the best of luck with it !

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Read the manual and idle at 900 RPM, it will help some, but the DD15 doesn't seem to idle as well, although the DPF is also smaller and regens take less time. Mine never takes even 10 minutes, it seems to vary from talking to other drivers, mine seems to take the least to regenerate.

Mine will run 9 to 11 hours if it is really cold before it needs it but it will shut down if I don't catch it within an hour or so of the regen needed light coming on.

I just restart it with the shutdown override and do a parked regen. If it's really cold, and the coolant temp isn't up above say 180 degrees F it will also foul the filter faster, get a winterfront, watch the coolant temp and idle above 900 if needed, it will idle back when it gets warm enough. I only had that happen once out in the wind in single digit temps with the winterfront on. I haven't had to do a parked regen except when idling no matter how cold it has been.

At almost 70 thousand miles now, and it seems to need less intervention and is running better than when new.

The engine has a different sound that takes some getting used to, but I like driving it, there is something about the responsiveness that I would miss driving anything else I have driven to date. Easiest shifting truck I have driven and it's even a 10 speed .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.