Why run hotshot than OTR

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Seguy, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Seguy

Seguy Bobtail Member

May 17, 2010
    Daphne, Al
    My question is why run hotshot rather that OTR driving. Is there more money to be made, more home time, better/more freight to be moved.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I talked to a guy who owned a Chevy Kodiak with a flatbed on the back. He would run with Auctioned Cars or sometimes antique Cars people bought. Or run misc. freight on the flatbed.

He had total independence and just picked off things on load boards like Landstar.

4. SMBdriver

SMBdriver Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Good money, less away from home time, my own boss. Those are a few of the reasons, anyway. Oh, and usually easy freight, just tie it down good and go. Some jobs are bigger, then you're talking a little more work chaining it down and such, but mostly simple, quick trips.

5. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Mostly paid by the load not by the mile,yeah more money.I know guys who get pay by the mile and do 3,000 + a week and making less of a guy who makes by the load who does much less miles and makes more money than the guy who get paid by the mile.

Hotshot pays much more and less miles at times,all depends.

6. LTenterprise

LTenterprise Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2011

What industry is the main source of your work?

7. rescue349

rescue349 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    New Orleans,Louisiana
  8. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    It's quite obvious.

You make more money on shorter runs, whether or not the load pays by the mile. Think about it for a minute:

Driver A is a solo OTR driver that has a load going from Albany NY to SoCal. It's gonna take the driver roughly 6 days to complete the trip. Depending on when the pay cut period is, it could be another 2 weeks before the driver sees the money from that run.

Driver B is a hotshot driver. In the time it took driver A to go from NY to SoCal, driver B hauled 3 loads at 1,000 miles each, and will get the money from at least 2 of those loads next week, whereas driver A isn't getting paid next week.

TruckerKENNY and dirtyrabbit Thank this.
  9. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    It appears that you need to be in the right location and have the right loads. And the truck can get used up fairly quick. The few that i've talked to said they get a new truck each year, and trailers each two. Home time is hugh compared to what I get.

10. SoulSeeker

SoulSeeker Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Maybe somebody can help me here, I started a thread on a reefer cargo van to do produce hotshots and I'm looking on some info on how to get a terms of agreement.

Perhaps there are some independent reefer drivers here that can spread some light on this issue.

I put an example up on the thread I started, but no luck yet so for example how does one protect themselves in case, reefer breaks down and produce spoils this is just one of many examples that perhaps somebody has gone thru and a way how to avoid any legal trouble.

Thanks A Bunch.

11. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

You purchase insurance, if you can get it written and if you can afford it. Same answer you got in the other thread.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.