Why slow down when passing?

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by skellr, Jun 15, 2018.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Wal-Mart drivers are the worst for this...

Why would anyone want to slow down when passing? Sure passing is dangerous, but how is slowing down and spending more time next to someone safer than keeping your foot out of your butt and on the pedal a good idea?

If you move over in the left lane to pass, just pass! You could be gone and down the road away from the "scary situation" faster than if you decided to slow down a pass really slow.

There are probably people behind you waiting for you to move out of the way. Turn a simple pass into a giant cluster. Good job! :tard:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Usually we aren't slowing down, the jackwagon we're passing looks up from texting, or watching his movie on his tablet, sees us and speeds up.

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I can see that happening.

bigmotor1212 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have a feeling they used momentum from behind your trailer to boost speed a few mph. When they got out to the side the governor nannied them back to set speed.

In a situation like that I want a nice downgrade. Put it into nuetral and get by. Betting the other on the right will govern out before i run out of grade.

To be fair, all this governing speed business just makes a hash of everything. Herding trucks by the hundreds all the way across TN all 1 or 2 mph apart in speed etc. Never mind the poor cars.

Take those nannies off, let em run. You will find a improvement.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

They are running right up against the governor with their cut back engine and as soon as they get in the left lane they no longer benefit from the draft effect they had while behind you.

7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    second that. or slows down and speeds up.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. mike3fan

mike3fan Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2010
    michigan
    Yeah well you should drive in Michigan withall the Canadian trucks that can onlydo 64mph, nothing worse than driving a 65mph truck at 64...doh

Justrucking2, Smut and skellr Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Gotta love the guy you creep up on, and I cruise in the low 60's, he's down to 55 now, now somebody has shut the gate on me so I'm stuck, 52, clear, HAMMER DOWN, I'm doing 65 to 70 and inching by him, that's all he's got is 65, do now at 75 he's fading and has slowed down anyway.

But dang sure went from 50 to 65 when I went to get around him.

Usually 3 or 4 times a day.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I was a company drive for Prime governed at 62 but would drive 60 so I would have some throttle left.

I could understand a couple mph loss for coming out of a draft, even though there wansnt a draft for them to get to that point...
    IIcan watch people all day come up from behind to pass and just slow down when the get next to me. Not on a hill, no physical reason for them to slow down. I'm not weaving weaving around In the lane, clear road ahead. But they slow down when passing, Wal-Mart drivers the most frequent. Not just a slight speed decrease, they will sit there for 15 seconds and then bump it up .1-2 mph to finish the pass. If you let off the throttle to help them guess what happens? They keep slowing down to hang out next to you. Unbelievable! You know who else drives like this? The elderly and mom's in mini vans.

UPS usually likes to flash thier high beams when they pass like blinding me is going to help.

When you slow down to 55 that seems to help. They are already passing you by the time they realise you are there and they would need to hit the brake to slow down and hang out. Why is that? Not always! Some joker will slow down to the 55.2 for the pass! Why? Just go!

11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Like Kenny Rogers said..
    Always have an Ace in the Hole.

Nut check em if they speed up.
    I'll run em up to 100 if I have to.

I despise a Jack Wagon.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    QuietStorm and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.