Why ticket the driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by magnum force, Oct 5, 2010.

1. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Just out of a public safety aspect, with people that think doing the right thing is bad, it's probably a good thing they mandate the QC...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FreedomFirst

FreedomFirst Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Bath,PA

Hey Diesel Bear,
    I have to tell you that you sure hit it right on the money with this,and for what its worth I agree with you 100%. Every driver should copy this ,and frame it. I would suggest getting it out and reading it once a week .

Its a fact of life that the power brokers ,and big money make the world go around ,or not. They control pretty much everything in our lives from the price of what we buy to the freight rates that the carrier got for hauling it to the store for us.

Back in the 80's I hauled automotive in a dry van. I don't know if there is more time sensitive freight than it,or not. This freight mainly go's on rail cars,and if its on a truck its ,because they need it yesterday to keep the assembly line running ,and not shut the plant down.

In any event until they find the lost rail car of fenders ,or whatever they keep ordering truck loads of product with the threat of the carrier being held to pay lots of money for shutting the plant down if delivery in not made on time. Your company will never haul another pound of freight for us again,and your driver is history.

This was a way of life,and it still may be. What I am trying to say is GM,Ford,and Chrysler could care about log books,or regulations,or fines. We are who we are,and we want,and need our load of parts NOW!

Drivers had to check call every few hours to give location,and ETA. Many of these calls were made after your log book stopped driving,but you didn't. I never understood why the plants all didn't order a day earlier,and take off the stress. The only thing I can come up with is greed,and the hope of not needing to pay for the truck.

I always seem to look at the big picture,and though you probably can't prove it on paper I would venture to say that the bulk of trucking companies are owned by the same fortune 500 companies that have a product to be shipped ,and rate wars are just a game to get their product shipped as cheaply as possible.

With the bulk of the guys that you stop I am not sure that even if the rates were better for everyone ,and they made enough money that they would keep a legal book. I am not sure that they would keep their truck in repair. Sadly I think not simply look at how some of them dress ,and there is no excuse for not taking a bath. If you won't take care of yourself then the truck is not going to fare any better.

Its good to know that you are out there DieselBear,and that you know what you know. Sadly though I think to an extent Big Money controls us all,and when it hits the fan the Truckdriver is everyone's scapegoat if they LET it happen to them.

Speaking of money in 1986 when you needed a 48x102 to haul automotive ,and it was hard to load a 45x96 anymore we went from 4 or 5 racks of auto parts to 8 or 10 racks. So now we had a double load on from say the Budd company in Philadelphia,PA to the Ford plant in Atlanta,GA it used to gross $1,885.00 x my 72% = $1,357.20 to go less than 800 miles. So now we have a double load on anymore ,and the rate dropped to where I was making $858.00 for the same trip. Its all about big money ,and greed.

Oh yeah they would load us between 2pm,and 5pm,and want us in Atlanta by 8am. Early the next afternoon was more log book friendly!

4. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    This is the thing that most drivers running illegal never get their brain wrapped around, if a crash happens those dispatchers/owners will RUN. Your on your own with a false logbook and a jury.

5. Trouble65

Trouble65 Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    I'm an owner of a small trucking company. I give my drivers plenty of time to deliver their loads. I never ask them or tell them to break any laws. However there have been times that drivers went over the 11/13/14 hour rule by much as 30 minutes:biggrin_25522:

6. Trouble65

Jan 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Sorry you are wrong, with CSA 2010 any fine that the driver recieves goes against the company CVOR. To many violations of the same kind and we get a visit from the DOT. Another violation during the probation and we loose our running authorities.

I have talked to many drivers, brokers, shippers and recievers and I'm shocked in how many never heard about CSA 2010.

7. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    Not exactly true. Any violation in conection with a DOT inspection counts with CSA2010. Not EVERY fine/ticket will show up under CSA2010.

8. Trouble65

Jan 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    From what I understand "every ticket" issued is points against driver and company. Even overweight ticket shows up, which is not fair.

However I could be wrong. So far all tickets issued to my driver came up on CSA 2010 including this current one:

396.5(B) 1 N ALL OTHER VEHICLE DEFECTS Oil and/or grease leak

Now I'm asking my self what leak? There is a small oil stain on the valve cover is that what he is talking about.

9. magnum force

magnum force Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Fort Worth Texas
    I think things will get better with csa 2010. I have left a couple of jobs because of hours of service. I'm not talking about fifteen or twenty minutes. How about 4 or 5 hours. And like I said the company you leave puts trash on your D.A.C. And the driver knows they will do it. I was employed at this construction company. the truck I was issued was out of align. Left front tire is showing cord. Boss said run it>> So I left. When I apply at the next place I was told buy a driver that they just hired me to fire me. Because of a brother the first company told the second. kinda like a broth in law deal . Now isn't that sweet. Now I have two short term jobs on my D.A.C.

10. walstib

walstib Darkstar

You're the pilot in command, just because the boss says run it, it's your decision...I really can't relate to your thinking process...If it's unsafe, it's unsafe, you say NO...

11. magnum force

magnum force Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Fort Worth Texas
    Thinking process goes like this. Do I want to eat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.