Why you don't swerve:

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Pedigreed Bulldog, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Deer play role in semi truck crash on I-57 in Union County, IL

He should've just smoked the deer. He still wrecked, but this is now both a roll-over AND a preventable, whereas just hitting the deer is typically considered an "act of God" and non-preventable. Also, instead of only damaging the nose of the truck, he wiped out the side, the trailer, and the load.

Yes, it is a difficult reaction to overcome...but even in your car (which is MUCH easier to control during a panic swerve situation), more people die each year swerving to miss that deer ending up flipped in the ditch or wrapped around a tree than from actually hitting the deer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Even police do the swerve and wreck, I have talked to more than 1 after they crawled out of the ditch.

Deer is another 4 letter word.

4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The other four letter words refer to activities that are enjoyable The only way to make this 4 letter word enjoyable is to add either shooting or eating!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Deer..........

Like baseball & golf,

It's all in the follow through....... :biggrin_255::biggrin_25525:

QuietStorm, LWT104, nax and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    yep. just hit the deer. about 15 years ago on I494 saw black marks all over the road,a car upside down a good hundred feet off in the ditch,with a deer laying dead about halfway between the road and where the car was resting. they swerved so hard they lost it, hit the deer anyways,and then rolled the car.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I run tanker and I won't swerve to miss a car. Sure as heck not to miss a deer.

mjd4277, KillingTime, Bud A. and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    My reaction would be to hold the course and hold the wheel...... very tight.

LWT104, uncleal13, G13Tomcat and 2 others Thank this.
  9. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Never hold the wheel very tight. Hold it loose, the truck knows what to do, just guide it. Tensing up and death gripping the wheel just makes it harder to really control the truck.

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Goes right along with YUMM!

lovesthedrive and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive taken large animals before. If you have a steel bumper you can make a clean kill so it wont suffer. But if you have a rubberized air dam that passes for a bumper, it's only going to bounce the animal off the oil pan and into the driveshaft etc. to be chopped up alive. You will hear the yelp as it passes under you that they usually make when bounced off the pavement or pan.

Sometimes you cannot swerve. So be it. Take the kill.

Certain trailers like a tanker if you swerve you are going to get hurt bad or killed, or someone near you. So take the animal hit.

Even today this tough cookie (Me...) have a tear or two for certain ones I had to take. The rest of them are run of the mill. There is more where they came from.

LWT104 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.