wil-trans

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by bubbasdk, Aug 19, 2007.

1. blackf3504dr

blackf3504dr Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Thanks guys, they must have a terminal or drop lot in Ocala that's where the add say they are hiring .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beagleboy1968

beagleboy1968 Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    It seems that all the trucking companies are a joke from what I'm reading. I'm looking for a starting point to a local box truck driving job. Until I find the winning lotto combination, what's the best place for a student to start??

4. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Whatever company will hire you? :biggrin_25525:

Sorry couldn't resist. It's a good question, it all depends on what you are looking for.

5. devilwater87

devilwater87 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado springs , co
    Im new to the form and trucking I read all the pros and cons
    of wil-trans but I think Im going to give it a shot Im suppose
    to be there monday any info that is up to date would be great

6. Spacecoast

Spacecoast Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Palm Bay, Fl
    Don't have much info on them. I've read they pull Prime freight. Keep us updated on your progress

7. howdog

howdog Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    florida
    I am going to be there at the end of next week

8. Spacecoast

Spacecoast Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Palm Bay, Fl
    Let me know how it goes please....

9. howdog

howdog Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    florida
    sent you a message ,

10. howdog

howdog Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    florida
    might be 7 or 8 weeks till im finished with school and trainer.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  11. Chauncestanbul

Chauncestanbul Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Fl.
    Got your message Howdog.

OK, for everyone interested in Wil-Trans, you should check some of my earlier post. However, I'll give you the quick version.
    You will be instructed on driving a truck whether you just got your CDL or not, BEFORE you get in with a trainer. Newbies only, experienced drivers will be road tested. 7 or 8 weeks when you are finished with a trainer, ha, not even close. Sorry, but you must complete a series of milestones before you can be upgraded to a lead seat driver. You must put in at least 58,000 miles behind the wheel. That's 18,000 for your first upgrade, 20,000 each for the next two. Then it's not automatic, that you leave the trainer at 58,000 miles, it just makes you eligible. You must still wait for an opening in class, and get back to home base for a final A seat testing. I just missed a class opening with just under 58K, so I had to wait for the next one to roll around. I was at 72K miles+ before I could attend. My friend Kevin was 75K miles+. It happens, so don't get overly excited, it may take 4-5 months with a trainer to complete this task, depending on how hard you run. Being away from home is the hardest part, and the reason I drive local now. The road isn't for everybody! I'm sure you've heard it before. If you have lots of responsibility at home like I do, (ei. Kids, wife, house repairs, aging parents, grandparents in need of assistance, etc.) then this may not be for you. I know you get all excited about being a driver, been there, that you don't sit back and think about the time you will not be home. Wil-Trans is a good company, that pulls for Prime. They will run you if you wanna run. In return they're gonna want to see you out 4,5,6, weeks at a time or more. I will tell you this, the longer you stay out, for some reason, the better your miles are! Hmm. Anyway, you can only stay at home a max of 5 days. That starts from when you get off the truck til' you get back on, and they will screw you on that if you let 'em. If you get off the truck at 4pm on a Monday, then you should be back on the truck no later than 4pm Saturday. To avoid a late return to the truck either one of two things will happen. Your dispatcher will try to get you on earlier by a day, meaning you lose your last day, or if you want your full on 5 days no ifs, ands, or buts, then he'll make you sit around waiting for the truck to come around again to get you. Every company plays this game, get used to it! Good company? YES, Plays games with time off? Who doesn't? Just think long and hard if this is what you want to do. You will be gone initially 2-3 months between school and training. Ask yourself if you 're ready to commit yourself to the road, because that's your new lover, best friend, whatever you wanna call it. It consumes your life, and becomes it. Am I thankful to Larry Burt and the Wilson family for giving me my start, ABSOLUTELY!!! Would I do it again? Sure. If I didn't have to be readily available at home sometimes, then I'd go back on the road. The money was good, traveling was great. Oh I almost forgot. You need to have a really good partner/co-driver to run with or life will be miserable. I had an ####### trainer for 4.5 months, felt like years, and a really good friend/co-driver for 12 months, we had a ball and seen it all. What a great experience that was. If you looking to be a big truck driver, this is a good place to start. If you want to just drive a box truck, don't bother. Just get a CDL B, save yourself a lot of time and money!!! I check this forum every once in a while, just to see what's happening out there. If you message me, or are waiting for a post reply, it may take me a while to get back to you, sorry. Wil-Trans is good though. Remember this, recruiters lie worst than a really bad used car salesman. They tell you what you wanna hear to get you in the door. Once your in, you'll never speak to them again. Listen to what the drivers say, most of them anyway. Have a whole lot of patience because everything is hurry up and wait. Can't think of anything else so I'll end it here. Good Luck!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.