Will a bad work history severly effect my chances with Roehl?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by supremekizzle, Mar 20, 2011.

1. supremekizzle

supremekizzle Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winona, MN
    I have a terrible work history. Something I really should have thought about when I was younger but as stated I was young and jobs were plentiful so I have quite a few jobs on my history where I simply stopped showing up. About 5-7 of these bad instances I believe (I know I know, pretty bad) the main problem was most of these were factory jobs and it is this type of work that I know way better than to get into. I just couldn't stand being cooped up in a factory all day. I love freedom in my work I suppose. Anyway, back to the topic at hand... how bad is this going to de-roehl me (lol, I couldn't resist)? I plan on applying today and just seeing what they say, but how do you guys feel my chances are? I know companies want 10 year work history but the sad thing is I don't even know if I can remember them all. Anyone else been turned down due to bad work history? I have changed a lot, BTW. I was previously in construction and loved it. Its just huge windowless buildings with concrete floors that I can't do. Any advice would be appreciated. I already fear the worst but this is my normal nature. Thanks for reading and (hopefully) responding.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    You never know until you try. Would you hire you? Everyone of us wanted to quit one time or another. But you just stay with it and make the best of it. You have to suck it up and be more responsible if you want a normal life. Kind of hard to pay bills without stability.

If you don't know your past, neither do they. :) Maybe you can stretch out the construction part?
    They have to check your employment history per DOT regulations. If they didn't, any bad CDL driver can just lie on their next job application.

supremekizzle Thanks this.
  4. supremekizzle

Nov 17, 2010
    Winona, MN
    DOT makes them check work history? So is it more about them following guidelines than actually wanting you to have a perfect work history? It makes more sense now that I think about it. Before I just thought it was the industry norm to make sure potential employees have a good work history. I know I screwed up and like I said I've changed my work habits. Factories were just UNBEARABLE.

5. harleymanjax

harleymanjax Rookie Skateboarder

Dec 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most companies only go back 10 years if it was a driving job, if you have never driven before they only care about the last 3 years.

6. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I would think if they are non driving jobs they aren't going to care. If it were me, and let's face it I'm really smart, I would be more concerned about your past as a driver. Equipment abandon, accidents, late deliveries, company policy violations. I worked in the office there once upon a time and I've had like 16 jobs in my life and 2 recent gaps in employment where I just decided not to work and they didn't seem to care too much about that.

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    This is an industry where alot of drivers bounce around jobs for one reason or another. Many will require you don't have more than 5-6 jobs in the past 3 years which is pretty slack. I guess they want to get at least 6 months out of you to show a profit. I've bounced around many myself. Seven months seemed to be the magic number for me before I cracked, lol. It seems the older you get and the longer you been doing it, you're more adapt to sticking it out. I been with my last employer three years. There are benefits to sticking it out too. New trucks, you seemed to be valued more. If you been there awhile, most likely then you have a good dispatcher/driver relationship which is very important.

Good Luck!

8. MayhemTrucking

MayhemTrucking Heavy Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Denham Springs, La.
    One of Roehl's thing is "fluidness" Meaning no big laps in work, which i never understood, whats it matter if one didn't have a job for 3 months, in between jobs, without unemployment. you find ways to survive lol..

9. supremekizzle

Nov 17, 2010
    Winona, MN
    Thanks. This is about how I sit. I've had about 10 jobs in the past 5 years with the bulk of them being in 1 years time about 2 years ago. I also have two recent gaps but I was on unemployment for those periods of time. Your post gives me hope that my work history isn't the worst out there (no offense)

Fluidness is something I am lacking with my aforementioned gaps that I have with the most recent being quite a long stretch of unemployment. Hell, if anything they'll hire me for the unemployed worker tax cut. There is hope for me yet! Even if Roehl won't take me Werner should. Thanks eveyone.

10. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    While roehl might be the better choice ,if they won't take you ,Werner isn't as bad as you might think.They have an excellent training program,My son started w/ them 1/3/11 and had nothing but good things to say about his trainers,both veterans w/ many years under their belts.

11. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Just like the 10 year thing the work gaps are also a DOT thing. They want you to account for the entire past 10 years. Can you handle someone looking over your shoulder? Roehl is very anal about keeping track of their drivers. For a new driver it is really a big help, but for someone who is independent and experienced it can drive you nuts. In my case it got better when I went o/o and got a fm that didn't try to run my business for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.