Will Never See Cops the Same Way Again

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Injun, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I was dead asleep at 11:30pm when someone pounded on the front of my truck. What the ...? Okay. First, where the .... am I? Yeah. Westley, at the truck stop. Probably a lot lizard. Open the curtain and see what up. Light shining in my eyes and a male voice, "OPEN THE DOOR!!" "Who are you? Why?" "I SAID OPEN THE DOOR!!!" Nope. Don't know who it is. Get my flashlight. Some young guy with all black clothes on and an embroidered badge, shining an LED light in my eyes.

I ask "What's going on?" "SHERIFF...OPEN THE DOOR!!" "Why?" "JUST DO WHAT I SAY!" I look outside. No car. Just this guy outside my door demanding access to my only refuge. Why does he want in here? Can't be for anything good. But, I open the door. As I was getting the leash for my dog "I ask the questions here! Is anyone else in there with you?" Of course not. "No." But something in the back of my mind told me this was a potentially dangerous situation. His demeanor was extremely tense. Something about him sent a bolt of terror through the middle of me. I said, "Call your boss." He reached for me. "GET OUT OF THE &$#%ING TRUCK!!!" I shoved the dog back into the truck, dove back in and tried to slam the door. He grabbed the door as I was slamming it.

In my mind? Who is this guy, what does he want with me? I don't know he's LEO. They didn't wear black fatigues where I come from. I'm terrified it's some guy dressed as a cop trying to gain access to me. I will do whatever it takes to keep myself safe. I slammed the door one more time and tried to push the lock. Anything to keep him away from me. Even if I have to dive head first out the other door, just have to stay away from him... I wasn't quick enough with the lock. He rips the door open and yells again, "GET OUT OF THE TRUCK!!" Reaches for me again. I almost slipped his grip, but he got me. Yanks me out of the truck and twists my arm behind me.

Ohh....I'm &$#%ed...going through my mind. Still fighting. I don't know who this is, he refuses to call his boss...or any other LEO. Simply expects me to comply with his demands, no questions asked, without knowing who he is, what he wants or why he is there. Handcuffs! He put handcuffs on me! Now, walking toward the rear of my trailer. Now I know I'm screwed. Only bad things happen at the rear of the trailer, out of sight of everyone else. I'm cuffed and helpless. Nobody can see what's going on back here. Nobody to help me. I'm completely alone in this. It's me and this guy, who I've never seen before and I'm completely at his mercy. Still confused, don't know what he wants, why he's pulling me out of my only safe haven.

My dog. Don't hurt my dog! He wants to look in my truck. My elbow was scraped in the ruckus. I'm still terrified. Bunch of questions. Where are you going, what are you hauling...I can't remember in that state of mind. Paper? Don't really know. Care if I look? Just sign for the seal. I'll open it for you. My mind going in circles. Try to explain why I'm so scared. The guy who dressed like a cop, did his car up and killed women... It goes over his head. He's still upset I had the audacity to fight for my life. Threatens me with a felony. A FELONY??? I'd almost welcome the charge at that point...because it will get me around more people. Right now, it's just me and him. And I'm in cuffs.

Apparently, someone doesn't like Swift. Or someone here is p/oed about something I said on the forum and recognizes my truck...or got kicked off the forum because of some rude thing they said to me...and blame me for it... I don't know. But someone told the truck stop that I was selling drugs. What the ...? I've been asleep since around 8:30. I stopped, went to the bathroom, got a burger and fries at Carl's Jr. Then went in and bought a bottle of milk and a piece of cake from the female clerk. Haven't been out of my truck since. Drugs?? Now I'm really, really irritated, in addition to still being scared out of my mind.

He gets into his car, says my plate didn't come up registered in Indiana, it's a fake plate. What?? Get the registration...tell him where it is. We're driving to the front of the truck. Puts it in gear. My mind tells me..."this is it. Pray. You're really &$#%ed now. We're not stopping at the front of the truck. We're going somewhere remote and you won't be found until the next plowing." Somebody, please watch after my dog. He's a good boy. Don't be mean to him...

I cannot wrap my mind around someone calling the police and saying I was dealing drugs. It has to be a ruse...to get me out of my safety...why, though? Oh, thank God and Grandmothers. We stopped. He got my permit book and log book (right where I said it was) looks at my license. I keep it in my log book. Do I take any medications? Yes. List them. He's apparently satisfied I'm telling the truth. Drives me back around to the rear. I'm still in my nightshirt and nothing else, barefoot...and cuffed. He let's me out of the cuffs at the rear of my trailer. My fear level is still very high.

My back is turned toward the front of the truck. CHP shows up. Oh, my God, I am relieved to see them. Now I finally know for sure this guy is really LEO. I nearly collapse in my relief to finally have someone there who, even if they're on "his" side, nothing bad will happen to me. They don't understand why I burst into uncontrollable tears. Why are you crying? I can't talk. I sound like an idiot and probably look like one, too. I can't stop crying...out of relief and I can't explain that to them. Go ahead, look for drugs!

I stand by the CHP car as refuge...more than anything else. I know these guys are for real and I'll do what they ask. When's the last time I took meth? Never! Drugs? I was 17. Open your mouth. I have all my teeth, they're in good condition. Eyes are dilated and pulse is rapid. Well, do ya think?? I was terrified out of my mind! There is so much adrenaline pumping through me I'm surprised I'm not doing St. Vitus' Dance for you! Take me in and I'll pee in a cup for you right now. I don't do drugs.

End of this story. The deputy has to make a report because I was injured in the scuffle. Good for him. I get my dog out for a potty break. Get into my truck and collapse into uncontrollable tears again. Nobody awake to call on the phone to talk about it, so I'm rambling here.

And, as said above, I will never see LEO the same naive way again.

misterG, trucker_101, johnday and 14 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    unless you see a badge to start with, never open the door, and call 911 the moment it all starts.

4. candi

candi Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Olivia, Minnesnowda
    i'm sorry ur having such a rough nite.did they atleast apoogize 2 u afterwards.u must hav pissed off sumbody.

5. vmaggs

vmaggs Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Sarasota, Fl
    Welcome to the new and improved Amerika:biggrin_2556:.............:biggrin_25516:your paperz pleez!

You gotta love this police state, I'm sure some goody two shoe will chime in how you should have complied immediately and the LEO was obviously right in all his actions. Lucky you weren't tazed for being in your night shirt.

6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Only one I can think of is someone who made a complete fool out of himself over a complete non-issue. Got himself kicked off the forums for some unrelated issue I wasn't involved in and came back several times under different IDs. One of those imbeciles who can't just accept the fact he's a jerk, was born a jerk and will always be a jerk. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets turned on when his shop steward bends over in front of him. People always hate what they don't understand within themselves. Then, they take it out on others, either who represent what they fear in themselves or who understand and accept what they see as shortcomings.

He's probably reading this thread and making a mess of himself. Seems to forget. People can be tracked on computers. Lesson I've learned. I will never again post my exact location. I was happy to support a mom n pop truck stop that suffered a huge blow and is trying to keep it going until they rebuild, so I posted where I was. Won't be doing that again.

Might need to seek medical attention for the exacerbation of the arthritis. My shoulder is on fire right now. Good thing I have enough money set by to sit for a week if I need to.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  7. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Did you get a name or badge number from this Jackbooted thug?

Call his agency, ask for his supervisor, and lodge a formal complaint.

Follow up with a written copy of what you have just related sent to the Sheriff, or head of his agency. Politely ask for an investigation and request a written reply.

If your treatment was the result of a malicious tip from some disgruntled individual, maybe they can investigate. There are rules against these things.

grizzly, 112racing, rocknsand and 14 others Thank this.
  8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Sorry to hear that Injun. Totally uncalled for. I can understand your terror. Probably some jackarse parked across from you getting some sick entertainment.

But besides all that, the cop is suppose to verify the validity of the complaint and have the caller produce some evidence. Erroneous calls are made everyday.

I was harassed once by a cop or security guard once in a truck stop. He wouldn't identify himself and was a real threatening and an arse. Like you I was asleep. Then he makes a comment of a person was just killed in a wreck with a trucker on the interstate. "You truckers think you can do what you want, blah blah blah". I was like you need some mental evaluation. Testosterone and you think you are god are not good qualifications for your position. Turns out the wreck was the 4 wheelers fault.
    That really gave me a bad taste towards cops. But just like with truckers, there are bad apples giving every profession a bad name. You can't make a judgement because of one bad person.

You know he was a sheriffs deputy. I would do a little research, call and talk with the actual sheriff about the incident. A cop has to properly identify themselves. Handcuffing you is only suppose to be done when the cop feels threatened. Being on the road makes it almost impossible to take any legal recourse if your rights were violated.

I'd give you a hug if I was there. I would of also gave that cop hell.

Roadmedic, simplyred1962 and Injun Thank this.
  9. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    That sucks.Did you ever find out why leo wanted you out?They have the badge and gun so they make the rules as they go.

I_HATE_MINIVANS Thanks this.
  10. Steering Wheel Holder

Steering Wheel Holder Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Uhmerrica
    This kind of treatment by the (ex-military/paramilitary) police is routine in the 21st century, you don't have a case just because you are not a crackhead and they had a scuffle with you because you resisted for whatever reason. They do this to innocent people 365 days a year, why do you think he was so ####y?

Never answer a violent cop knock, pretend you are not in there if they cant see you. This will save you a lot of trouble. Been there, done that.

I_HATE_MINIVANS Thanks this.
  11. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    Calls to the police can be traced.They can prosecute for providing false info. If I was you ,see a doctor and document the injury you have then talk to your lawyer.If you have a case,you can win a judgement against the cop and town he works for. You may be able to make lemonade out of this lemon. Take care ,karma will get this jack boot one way or another.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.