Will Never See Cops the Same Way Again

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Injun, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    This alone really makes me wonder if they were truly on duty or up to no good.

simplyred1962 and Injun Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I've spent as many nights in a truck stop as most. Anytime there is a problem on the lot it is usually brought to the managers attention. If someone is running around selling drugs or lot lizzards, they usually get wind of it.

If someone calls and says a Swift driver is dealing drugs, how many are there? That's one reason he was parked behind her trailer. He couldn't identify the copper colored truck from the front. He was fishing.
    So here's a person dressed in fatigues and no cop car around in a place where anything can happen, beating on her door and acting in a threatening manner. Evidently CHP was dispatched. Why didn't he wait on him to arrive if he thought it was a high risk situation?

4. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Because, I think CHP was dispatched as a result of another trucker being woke up by the noise and calling into 911 and the chp was the closest officer.

Again, makes you wonder if they were truly on orders or not.

simplyred1962, Injun and misterG Thank this.
  5. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    First, The police are never going to call Swift and ask them for the background of the driver. Besides giving away the goods that they are about to contact the driver that they have suspicion of dealing drugs, you will put the officers at risk to injury or death if in fact this was a legitimate complaint. Whose to say someone at the company wouldn't call the driver and let them know what was just conveyed to them. If this truly was a dealer who wasn't going down without a fight, you risk everyone's life that is there.

Second, do you have any idea how Prepass works? What are the odds that Prepass could get the truck programmed to alert to bring it in. Beyond that, you going to call every scale in the country and give them a description of the truck and hope someone pays attention and sees the truck and can get it stopped. Again a ridiculous thought that would never work.

Here's the way it works in the real world and not in Hollywood. Agency gets a call, Officer(s) contact the complainant, then the suspect. Then you deal with the cards you are dealt.

Injun and Big Don Thank this.
  6. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I agree, there are many men that would be scared. The audio still works on the dash cam if the cam is just capturing the rear of the trailer. The cam could have caught video as well depending on just where the cruiser was parked. I wasn't there, or have any idea what system was in the cruiser or not in the cruiser. But the audio works just fine even though it stares at the back of a trailer.

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Yep, but you automatically go on the defense. This was a report by a mysterious person. Not by the manager or anyone reputable. What's the purpose of grabbing at her before discussing the situation.Two people can talk calmly. He automatically created the violent situation. It's not like she is going to flush any drugs down a toilet. Not all drug dealers are violent either. That's something amplified by TV. Yep, she was selling a couple joints and carries an Uzi to protect herself. The situation was overplayed and got out of hand.
    Now a whole bunch of people know how to piss someone off. Just make a fake report to the police and they are going to make that person life hell for awhile. Last I heard, you are innocent until proven guilty.

Injun and simplyred1962 Thank this.
  8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    One more comment and I'm off to bed. Injun said it happened at 8:30 which means it was light out. Nothing happens in a truck stop without 50 eyes seeing it. If there was a drug dealer or lot lizzard, many know about it.

9. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Sorry, Condo, Injun said she went to bed at 830, and was woken up in the wee small hours of the morning.

Injun, I'm very glad to hear that your physically OK.
    This is something that may affect you later emotionally. I might suggest talking to a friend, or pastor about this, or even a licensed therapist if you think its warranted.

simplyred1962, Roadmedic and Injun Thank this.
  10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Injun went to bed at 8:30 and was woke up at in the night.

11. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    A Swift dispatcher would warn their driver? Would any dispatcher or company risk legal repercussions from law enforcement for one of their drivers? Especially over a Drug Charge?

As for Prepass maybe I was wrong. I thought they might be able to contact the Prepass company with the Swift truck number and have it set to flag Red everywhere including the reason why.

Anyway I'm surprised anyone is supportive of the police acting so aggressively based only on a TIP and no evidence. It seems to me a TIP is only a lead which you follow to gather evidence for find suspects. Yes this includes questioning but not necessarily barging into a home or in this case a truck.

They could have waited until Injun left the truck. Yes that is slow and aggravating but I don't think expediency and convenience should be a reason to barge in. In fact waiting for the driver to exit and go to the truck stop would be more safe.

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.