Will we lose per diem

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by true122, Dec 2, 2017.

1. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    The schedule you are referring to is Schedule A, which is used for itemized deductions. As you have indicated, multiple reliable industry sources have reported that the transportation industry was carved out and transportation workers will still be able to claim per diem as an itemized deduction. In addition to what you have mentioned, several previous posts in the thread provide sources as well.

It is correct that generally speaking the standard deduction has been increased and itemized deductions are going away. However, there are exceptions, and it appears transportation workers have received an exception for per diem.

We can debate this here indefinitely, but the wisest course of action is to consult with a qualified tax professional regarding your individual circumstances.

Ken Worth and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Company drivers would not generally use a Schedule C. A Schedule C is used by self-employed individuals, such as owner operators. A company driver would use Schedule A, which is the form for itemized deductions. See previous post above for additional information.

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  4. Wggibbs

Wggibbs Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Per diem and itemization can still be done as I understand it. However with e the standard deduction being doubled most people will be better off than itemizing.
    Either way if you are incorporated per diem is a deductable expense.
    Unless you fell for the LLC con then probably not.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Kevin Rutherford is NOT a CPA. He has a reputation for saying what he thinks, not what is true.

I would suggest finding a CPA and asking him. Mine has said "not sure yet, waitong for the IRS guidance ".

6. Taipan

Taipan Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Meant schedule A

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Don't we lose the schedule A ? That the point withoit the schedule A you can't claim per diem and you can only itemized 3 or 4 things now. That how they made it more simple.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. Wggibbs

Wggibbs Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    True Kevin Rutherford is not a CPA but he generally knows what he's talking when it comes to taxes and accounting which is more than I can say for a couple of CPAs I know.
    I'm curious about your statement that "he says what he thinks, not what is true".
    What would be an example of an untruth he's said and specifically when he said it?

9. Wggibbs

Wggibbs Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    No the schedule A will still be used by those who choose to itemize.
    It becomes more simple for those who no longer need to itemize but will take advantage of the doubled standard deduction.
    Fyi prior to the new tax law over 70% of Amercans used the standard deduction including drivers because per diem alone is typically not enough to make itemizing beneficial.

10. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Have you referenced any of the articles noted in this thread? They address your question.

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I wonder what the average OTR driver deducts on "schedule A" for per diem? Keep in mind it's not a dollar for deduction, it's 80% of the average $63 daily deduction.

If the married filing jointly standard deduction jumps to 24k a year, how much is the average driver who claims per diem really going to be affected?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.