Wilson 5000 SWR issue

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by 715, Mar 4, 2018.

1. 715

715 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    GA
    Hey Guys & Ladies,

Question, I had to remove my Wilson 5000 antenna stinger from the magnetic base and now once I put it back on to the base I have high SWR 1.6 on 1 and 1.4 on 40. I have the antenna mounted in the middle of my 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe. I tried raising the antenna and tighten the set screws but not over tighten them and still shows those numbers when I was in a open area. I am using a MFJ-874 SWR/Watt meter. The base is fasten tight and the coax is tight on the back of the meter and no issues with the coax.

I do notice on my Stryker 655 CB meter that the SWR's are high when I am traveling down the road but they come back down when I am stop? Does that mean the set screws are coming loose? Not sure what else to check. Maybe it's the antenna stinger? Still to long in length? Good thing no burn marks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Take the Wilson base off and shake it...If you hear a rattle inside, or water shakes out...time for a new antenna...next time try a Sirio 5000...

rabbiporkchop, iron horse 128 and 715 Thank this.
  4. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    It's not too long since the SWR is higher on one than it is on 40. This normally would indicate it should be shortened a little.

If it were mine, I'd put a little grease in the stinger hole, place the stinger all the way down in the base, turn the stinger a little to make sure there is no corrosion preventing good contact, and check out the SWR. It is curious that the SWR rose just from removing the stinger.

I don't think it's unusual for the SWR to vary a little when driving. It could be caused by the antenna flexing in the wind, nearby objects such as cars and signs, etc. momentarily affecting the values.

About Jessie's water comment. It has been noted that occasionally a user will find that some water has intruded into the base and has caused some corrosion. To prevent such a possibility, I dab a little silicon sealant around where the stinger enters the base and around where the coax enters the base.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    stacks Thanks this.
  5. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    It’s subjective, but I don’t consider 1.6 to be high at all.

6. 715

715 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    GA
    I spent 30 minutes on diagnosing the issue with the SWR and cleaning top of the roof and the magnetic mount from the pollen from the trees and also made sure I put the magnetic mount back in the middle of the vehicle. I rechecked the SWR's and channel 1 is 1.5 and channel 40 is 1.4 and channel 20 is 1.3. The best I can get this antenna stinger.

When you say shortened your meaning cut some of it off at the bottom or lower it down in the base?

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If channel 1 is 1.5, and channel 40 is 1.4, but channel 20 is lower at 1.3...that's probably just about as good as your going to get... and not bad at all!

Timin770 Thanks this.
  8. Meteorgray

Jan 1, 2016
    Quote: When you say shortened your meaning cut some of it off at the bottom or lower it down in the base?

Either way will do it, but I always like to lower it down in the base for the most secure fitment. I.E., the base gets a better grip on the stinger and the overall balance is best when the stinger is lower in the base, versus higher.

However, as others have noted, your SWR is quite good, and any efforts to make the SWR lower will yield no measurable or meaningful benefits to the radio or the quality of its communicating ability.

9. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Are you using the same meter you used last time? It is pretty easy to get a little variance, and that's all you really have, if you are looking at the meter from a different angle when you calibrate it. Drill a hole in the roof and mount it, then you won't have this problem again!:biggrin_25525:

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Is it bolted to the roof or is it sticking on the roof with a magnet?
    If you take a stinger from a magnet mount and try to place it into a roof mount it will probably be too short.

11. Meteorgray

Jan 1, 2016
    Quote: "Drill a hole in the roof and mount it, then you won't have this problem again!"

And tests have shown that the gain from drilling a hole in the middle of a roof compared with plopping a mag mount there is about 0.1 dB. Wouldn't want to give that up :-}

rabbiporkchop and BTShepp Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.