Wilson trucker 2000

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by MNTSIDE, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    It sounds like your setup is resonant at 10 meters. This usually would indicate the antenna is a bit too long for 11 meters for the location it is being tested at. If that's not the case, then there is something else causing the aberration. If shortening the length doesn't help, then it may be the ground, the "second half of the antenna" otherwise known as the truck, the coax, or internally the coil, some soldered connection somewhere? I'm not skilled at chasing down such problems with an antenna analyzer. I have tuned all of my antennas with a simple SWR meter and antenna length manipulation, so I actually don't know if mine are perfectly resonant or not, but they do perform well; for me, anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNTSIDE

MNTSIDE Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2021
    This is what you would think, but I have already tried to shorten the whip way beyond what you would think and also started with a new one, all grounds are good
    Where the frustration is, is that the cheap 4 foot fiberglass antenna that came on the truck from the factory is tune in almost perfect, it doesn’t have much of a band width but is much better than the Wilson.
    Like I said earlier, had an old Wilson that tuned right in, I think Wilson has gone cheap

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Actually 28 - 29MHZ is the 10 meter band.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

That's good advice for the OP. Of course having low swr reading, doesn't mean the antenna is resonant. If the antenna's impedance is 25 ohms on a resonant frequency, then the swr would be 2:1. 50/25=2. If you adjust the antenna to a frequency lower than the true resonant point, the indicated swr will decrease.
    Mobile antennas can sure be a mystery sometimes. There's a lot of different factors involved when it comes to matching a mobile antenna to the radio.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Whats the ant on,what and how are you grounding?
    Got this god awful feeling your running a gnd wire from mount to chassie vs the aspect of bonding....
    What changes have you made sence you tossed the ole factory ant and went with the next one..
    Same ant stud,same coax,corrision?

7. MNTSIDE

Jan 2, 2021
    NO not running a ground wire from the bracket !!!!
    Haven’t run any ground wires and if and when I do it will be braided straps (cab to frame )can’t put any on the hinge on the door do to Peterbilt’s piano hinge style .....
    Did run new coax, but rhat didn’t help , coming up with the same results
    This is a brand new truck with all brand new equipment

8. MNTSIDE

Jan 2, 2021
    Oh and didn’t throw the old factory antenna away
    Threw the old Wilson away
    The factory fiberglass ant tunes right in on Chanel 19...

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    How does the hinge connect to door then..Been humpteen yrs sence i saw a piano hinge..

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Maybe its not the wilson...Maybe the old factory was so crappy it was hideing an issue that the wilson was pickin up..

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

Gotta be bolts somewher betweeb door and cab..Just because of that hinge alone would cause an issue. .Dirt,rust,plastic bushings,anti sieze,thread lock dont help any either..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.