Window shade?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Landincoldfire, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    A thong? Man just Free ball it. LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DumptruckO/O

DumptruckO/O Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2020
    It will keep you looking younger on that portion of your face. also, pretty hard to drive with the sun in your face especially in southern states.

4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have tinted windows and Missouri and Iowa are horrible states to go thru with tinted windows. They love to write the tickets. FMCSR Says you can tint the windows but it can only block 30% of the light. Almost nothing really. I have legal tint for Nebraska. Even with a doctors note and one from a ophthalmologist about light sensitivity. I get a few tickets a year. Only 1 point on CSA. But screw them I roll with it anyway.

5. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Is it illegal to use one of those shades that you put on with suction cups? Or any type of window shade? I am referring to one on the driver's side window.

6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I'm dealing with some pre-skin cancer issues on my left arm, my skin is so badly dried that I itch myself to a bloody mess. I've seen the drivers with the cling window tint, it works well, and most do it because their company doesn't allow window tint. I'm in discussions with my boss to get mine tinted. I bought a couple of these solar sleeves on Amazon, I'll frequently wear one on my left arm, it helps, but I still have to use lotion every night went I get home, and in the morning I have to use a steroidal anti-itch cream to control the itching. The dryness is also made worse by taking a warm shower, I have to take luke warm showers to help control it.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Last year saw a guy with a W900, the bottom 4" of both side windows was blacked out, the rest of the window was clear. He could put his arm on the arm rest and get no sunlight on it until late in the morning, and by then he was typically heading NB so it didn't matter as much.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I had one of those in a car one time and you could see through the shade when it was pulled down but it did a good job of blocking the sun. They are legal, as far as I know.

9. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    I wear UV long sleeve high visibility shirts from Carhartt. they are a little expensive but feel better on the skin than the cheap hanes brand. Blocks the sun and keeps the customers happy.

Also as I said organic sunblock with moisturizers.

Been driving for 30 years and my skin is just as fair as day one.

10. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Not sure; but, I use one... have for many years... I just roll it up when going thru any scale house.....never had a problem

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I never saw this thread before but there sure is a lot of judgement here. No surprise. So, my question is, what's the difference in sitting low and back in the seat of an old Pete where you can't be seen or are out of the sun and putting up shades to block it if you have a newer truck with huge windows?

I've got eczema on my left arm from driving for the last 30 years and even with a prescription med I have to pour on the sunblock and keep my windows covered. I did have 20% tint until PA made me pull it off a few months ago. 20% is not super dark and is legal everywhere down south, at least in cars. I keep all my vehicles tinted and have for years. A big problem with trucks is finding a shop that will tint you and one you can get in to. They are always busy.

Anyway, I go at this from all angles. Sunblock on my arm, side visor folded down, curtain pulled slightly forward and some of those stupid cling window stick on things for days driving west. Keeps it nice and cool and I could care less what anyone thinks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.