Windshield washer fluid

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Now that we are in winter and dealing with the white crap that is fun to play in, not so much to drive in........

Since regular old rubbing alcohol has a lower freezing point than water (or even the typical washer fluid), is it safe/advisable to add a bottle to the washer fluid mix so it doesn't freeze on the glass or in the spray valve?

I really wish someone with a better mind than mine would invent a way to imbed some sort of double filament into the perimeter of the windshield and side windows that would heat up enough to not only defog, but also defrost the entire surface (I am guessing that is how heated mirrors work), as well as a filament in a wiper blade so it does not become totally useless because of a build up of snow/ice....

Nihiser Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Best bet is to spend a little money and buy the blue -20 washer fluid at the truck stop. You need those detergents to cut grime and chlorides, as well as keep from freezing.

Biggest problem with wet snow is the accumulation and subsequent freezing and stiffening of the wiper blades where they can't conform to the windshield curvature. Short of buying and wiring in heated blades, there's not much you can do about that problem.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    austinmike Thanks this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    If you own your truck, get a set of heated wiper blades, I bought mine here, Heated Wiper Blades | Everblades Windshield Wipers

I have been using them for what, four winters now, sounds about right, maybe five. I used them last night when I was running through snow squalls on my way down to Indiana. They are the BOMB! I normally run them in the winter and replace with summer blades. The set I have on I ran all year without issue. The blades are the old style Anco brand, built tough and will last three four seasons easily. They plug in at the wiper arm and are easy to replace.

You do have to hard wire them in, and they do come with a HD Lighted Switch so you know that they are on and working. I wired mine directly in to the fuse block on their own circuit, as they do draw some amps, not a lot, but enough to justify their own spot in the fuse block. And they do get hot to the touch, approximately they reach 200* F.

I will not drive without them, and they are worth every penny. Oh, made right here in the USA, in Michigan. We know a thing or two about snow. ;-)

Oh, washer fluid, I go to town and get the stuff with the ice melt in the ingredients, auto parts store and Walmart carry it. I think I use the Pennzoil stuff, yellowish green color I believe.

Lepton1, tscottme, LWT104 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You would think heated wiper arm systems would be factory option equipment on any new truck, if not required standard equipment.

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You are not kidding. The blades I have are simple plug and play once the initial wiring is installed and are built like iron. The arms are heated along with the blades, and should be a safety item on all trucks. I will not drive in the winter without them.

There was an outfit here in Michigan that was making a heater for the washer fluid, GM was installing it on the Cadillacs for a year or two until something went wrong with one of the units. Long story, I don't believe it was the manufacturer but the vehicle owner... Anyways, GM discontinued that option. The company was still in business a year or two ago, but know clue now.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You don't need to buy a heater, just get a length of small copper or aluminum tubing to wrap around the heater hose to heat the washer fluild and splice it into the washer line after the pump. This an old trick that works well.

8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I remember that! I am spoiled with the heated wiper blades! LOL!

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    But I know a driver who shall remain nameless who once closed a hood on an opened wiper arm and snapped it off. So I'm not sure how those would go over in a larger fleet.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Up here in the Great white north you can buy washer fluid rates down to -45 degrees.
    Volvo has an option for a heated windshield, but it had those little black lines in it like a rear window one does.

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    The ones I use are just the blade itself, not the arm. Replace the arm and reinstall the blade.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.