Winter Diesel additive recommendations?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by lwlevens, Oct 21, 2018.

1. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Good to know. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Kerosene added to diesel fuel lowers the gel temperature, not sure how much to use though.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    It's probably better on the emissions system too.

Was told awhile back all these antigen gel products reek havoc on the dpf and when cut open you can see it because the ash is different.

Disclaimer:
    This is hear say from a steelership shop tech.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  5. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Won't have to worry about DPF my truck is to old. Thanks.

6. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    If it’s cold enough to gel fuel then there’s no way I’m trusting a truckstop to treat theirs properly. I’ll spend $20 on a bottle of Howe’s just for the piece of mind it brings knowing I’m good to go.

Also, if you have large fuel tanks it’s very possible to fill up somewhere where it’s 75 degrees and spend the next couple of nights below freezing on the same tank. I usually go 1,200-1,300 miles between fill-ups.

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They do, and it's been fine for me running it in the nothern US. But, they don't ''winterize" fuel down south where it's warm. The frequent problems come when you fill up down south, run north, then top off the tanks when your at 1/2 or even 1/3. It still isn't enough to prevent gelling.

8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Kentucky fuel is the worst!... I'm not sure they treat their fuel at all.

9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Was talking with a pilot fuel driver awhile back , he said they don't start treating until it's -15
    This was in Columbus,Oh.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Never used the additives since we went to the newer fuels and different blends.

Winter = engine always on. Makes fuel warm in the return into both tanks. In any rate running team we don't give that fuel a chance to gel. It's gone and filled in a day or less at half tanks.

Ive had just two gel incidents my lifetime, both are traced to mechanic failing to reopen the fuel valve to a particular tank on one side or another after some sort of work that was done to it, long lost to time. This was in winter and that affected tank gelled and had to be dumped then refilled along with fresh filters put on. The TA we did this at in Virginia has since been demolished above Roanoke.

The other gel incident was with B&B Concrete in a old Paystar 9800 tractor. One tank was always shut off for weight purposes to keep the nose down in the West Little Rock area to Hope on the bad roads there. One day we ran out of fuel in one tank and opened up the other. Which then proceeded to ruin the fuel filters and kill the whole thing. To make a long story short, the ever loving hot head manager thinks to give me both barrels for it. From that day forward I ran both tanks on that tractor.

11. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    None. You have return line putting hot fuel back in the tanks.

adayrider Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.