Winter Driving, Roehl Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by goblue, Aug 30, 2013.

1. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    So I caught the back end of last winter with my trainer and a little bit of snow during phase 3. About the only tip or trick I can offer is to dress and pack warm if you go to Marshfield RDTC in January/February cause it's frikin cold.

I do recall, while out with our group (including OSU), a quick stop in a drop yard somewhere near Stevens Pt. I think, where a driver came to pick up a relay that he couldn't pull out because of the snow/ice. LOL, chains come out and Dales pulling him out. I remember helping chop some snow and ice just infront of the drives and trailer tires to get rid of the "bump".

I also remember my trainer talking about making tracks so you can get out of a parking spot if you're parked for sometime in a truckstop when snow starts flying. And also seems that there is something to do so your brakes don't freeze up in the snow and ice after parking warm. I really didn't get to see or experience these issues first hand.

I know I have some of the antigel with me too, how often should we be adding that?

Snows gonna be flying eventually here. Any advice or cool tips/tricks to share. How about those big hills out east, what are the rules of engagement out there?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Good questions. If I recall right it was the Schofield, WI yard you were at.

On brakes freezing, I've read accounts elsewhere on the forum where drivers say they never set their trailer brakes when parking at a truck stop for the night; only the tractor brakes.

Looking forward to hearing what other drivers have to say about these questions.

4. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    Roehl will give you a line of BS about applying the Johnny bar/trolley brake slightly to warm up the brakes and remove condensation before parking for the night. Unless I was parked on a hill when it was cold I just left the yellow button pushed in and never had any more issues with frozen brakes. I tried their method, but it was me not a guy in a warm office that was crawling under a trailer with a flare trying to heat up brake lines on a brisk -30 degree morning in a Iowa rest area.
    Kitty litter is a cheap and effective way to get traction on ice when dropping and hooking trailers.
    There really aren't any big hills out east to worry about as long as you stay on the interstate, nothing that can't be handled by dropping down a gear or two and putting on the Jakes. I got on a really nasty road once trying to go around a scale by Roanoke VA but that is a whole different story. If you have a decent load on I wouldn't hesitate to use the Jake brakes on slightly slippery roads. But I wouldn't use them if I was empty or light and then they aren't needed anyways.

goblue Thanks this.
  5. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    get a good blacksmith hammer... also air line de-icer, a 20lbs bag of cat litter, and enough blankets and warm clothes to put an eskimo to shame in case of emergency. I would not recommend a road flare on the brakes although in a jam ya do what ya gotta do. A cheap set of chains if they aren't provided (can lay them on the ground in addition to the cat litter for some added traction.) Always set the tractor brakes and leave the trailer release unless you wanna see what its like to drag it across a snowy parking lot. If you do have to bang them loose for what ever reason find dry ground and then use the trolly valve to break away any remaining ice. And take it nice and slow through the parking lots.

Anti-gel depends on your bio diesel mix and if it's winterized. Err on the side of caution if you get reimbursed and throw it in there for anything below freezing. There could always be water in the line.

Almost forgot a weeks worth of non-perishable food and drinks. Ya never know.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    goblue Thanks this.
  6. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    lol, the new cascadia has no hand brake. I like all the other advice....great stuff, just haven't done it myself yet. Been thinking about bringing a pair of chocks (or chalks as they say in Indiana). I've had some difficult times with moving tandems when heavy and an older trailer. might find another use for them too someday.

7. Nighthawk325

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chocks might not be much help on ice but then again they wouldn't hurt. Haven't tried, I just find a solid curb or wheel stop. Service brake should still do the job if the trailer lines aren't frozen. Don't know if removing the only real way to check them was such a good idea in the new trucks. A little wd-40 will go a long ways on the older trailers.

8. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    I wouldn't recommend a flare either but that was maintenance's idea. Safety first, unless it requires a road call.

9. Nighthawk325

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ummm... wow. Did it work without damaging anything?

10. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Any Roehl truck newer than the 07's don't have trolley brakes. At least the 12and 13's don't.
    I've mentioned this before, but I got a military folding steel shovel too. You can lock the head in a 90 and use it for chopping ice as well.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  11. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    When I was in Marshfield last weekend I sat in one of the new Kenworths. Was surprised to see it had a trolley brake lever on the steering column.

Or hand-to-hand combat, should the need arise....

Bayle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.