Winter Gear

Discussion in 'Prime' started by lakerized805, Nov 1, 2014.

1. lakerized805

lakerized805 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Simi Valley, CA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DocHoof

DocHoof Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2014
    I'm a desert rat. My opinion is altered due to the fact I wear my thermal underwear once it gets below 65°F. That jacket for some is good to about 35° and others a little lower. I would personally spend a little more and search Amazon for "Carhartt Extreme". The Extreme line is rated for sub-0°F. There is not much of a difference in wearability between their normal cheaper line and the Extreme line.

lakerized805 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. Spartan14

Spartan14 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Any know how the Carhartt gear is priced in the Millennium Building shop? I was going to grab a new Carhartt coat before I headed to Springfield, but I've heard the pricing in that Millennium Building shop is very friendly, and I'm wondering if I should wait to buy it there.

5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I deliver pipe up to Williston, ND in the winter. It gets pretty bad up there. The wind is wicked. Many times it's snowing and the wind blowing at 40mph. I wear a scarf around my neck, ski goggles and the most important hat you can have. You look like a total jerk but this is the absolute warmest hat on the market from www.llbean.com. It's called the Mad Bombers Hat

And yes, that's real rabbit fur so all you tree hugers can go pound sand!

[​IMG]

NavigatorWife and lakerized805 Thank this.
  6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    My dad wore a hat that had sheepskin in it that was similar to this I think. He worked on the railroad out of Gary on the lake to Joliet and other places.

7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Check out the store at Springfield and get a lined rain jacket. Pants don't come with it. A pair of overalls, snow type pants would be good also, may have to check Walmart or other places for these too. He has gotten jackets at Prime store also that he likes, but this is according to what type you like. Layering is good, esp with a hooded sweatshirt to keep some of the wind and cold off your neck. Nebraska one year was -27 with wind blowing, I think a full body wrap of a muffler would have been great.

Husband likes shorts except getting out of the truck in the cold. Jogging pants would be warm also when driving.

According to where you are coming from and how many bags you are allowed, you may want to not get some of the stuff till you are on a trainers truck or your own.

lakerized805 Thanks this.
  8. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I realize this is an old thread but I thought I'd add my 2 cents for anyone who reads this after me...

Here is what I do:

Dress in layers:

Base layer (long johns): Wool or Polyester

Moisture wicking shirt: Underarmour (expensive). Russell Athletics and Old Navy makes good shirts out of the same material and there cheaper.

Sweat shirt: I like fleece.

Outter Shell: Goretex Water-Proof Jacket

Pants: If it's really cold I wear longjohns, but usually I just wear canvas pants or rain paints (usually enough to block the wind. My legs don't really get cold unless there are winds.

Good wool socks, gloves and a beenie (or tuke if you are canadian!).

Scarves are good for neck protection.

NO COTTON! Cotton is the worst!

9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
  10. reuter19

reuter19 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Oh please no. You see some without shirts that shouldn't be, that's bad enough

11. Leather Helmet

Leather Helmet Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Charlotte North Carolina
    what do DOT inspectors say?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.