Winter Nights (how to keep warm)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Antsbabyboy, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Antsbabyboy

Antsbabyboy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Loris, SC
    My husband drives SouthEast regional... The nights are starting to get cold and I was wondering what the best products are for keeping him warm at night (HAS TO BE 12V ONLY)...

He was talking about a heated blanket but all the reviews I look at are not very good and most of the reviews are from people taking trips and are not being used every single night... I see heaters too but I don't know how good they do... I'm just lost and I need help...

Im new to the hole driving thing and I need some help on the must haves (12V ONLY) for my husband to be comfortable while he is in his truck...

The only thing he has right now is a fridge... I just need a list of things that are must haves not only for heat but must haves to keep the down time passing by relatively fast...

Brands and places would help A LOT...

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Rhonda :biggrin_25526:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RandyNose

RandyNose Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Lakewood, OH
    A 12 Volt blanket will pull from the trucks Batteries, and might drain them over a short period of time, if he's not running the truck. If he's running the truck, then it's not a big deal. And a thick blanket isn't a big deal. Some drivers have a real good down blanket or comforter. Or just check out your local camping supply place, and get a good down sleeping bag.

4. John Scheidecker

John Scheidecker Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I have a good sleeping bag and a heavy blanket that I put over the sleeping bag. I also have another smaller blanket that I cover the top of my head (I'm kind of bald) and my shoulders leaving only my nose uncovered. I can manage down to about 32 F but if it gets too cold I have to start the truck. Anything that uses the battery will run it down and that can be an unhappy experience.

5. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    A good sleeping bag that is good to like 20 below zero something real heavy duty and he should be good

6. KDuBB

KDuBB Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Inverness,fl
    definately a good sleeping bag and some heavy blankets...best bet

7. EducatedMonkey

EducatedMonkey Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2010
  8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    One of those fleece throw blankets too. Great for warming up quick under the covers. I use them at home when it's cold, as I get cold very easily. Those fleece throw blankets really help me out!

9. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    Long drawers. warm socks. A few blankets.
    Heck he is only running the S.E. It's not like he will be in Green Bay. Or international Falls Mn.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  10. GPSTrucker

GPSTrucker Light Load Member

I have been using an APU for the past few years, but for those without and who don't want to run the truck unless the temperatures are dangerously low, I recommend a very good comforter on the bed. I have one that is very light weight but will roast you out unless it is really cold. Purchased at Wal Mart for very little.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  11. leanright

leanright Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    phila,pa.

Agree. And maybe a heavy sweat jacket with a hood.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.