Wiper arm confussion

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by MatthewJ,Kirsch, Mar 18, 2014.

1. MatthewJ,Kirsch

MatthewJ,Kirsch Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2014
    I have a 2003 western star dump truck and recently during plowing my wipers stopped working. They where hoping like the motor was bound up or the arm transmission was stuck. After removing the motor which was a pain but I got it done, I removed the wiper arms on the outside of the truck and thought that after removing the nuts underneath the transmission and everything would just come out. Now they leave no room to be able to see if there is a nut on the backside or not and it looks like I am going to have to drop the dashboard. If anyone knows of a better way please let me know because if there is an easier way than tackling that job I would be happy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. knightrider77

knightrider77 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2014
    columbus oh.
    This probly no help to you wish I knew ws but my freight shaker did that and come to find out it was the bolt in the cowl hitting the linkage

4. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    If you pull the plastic covers off your pivots on the outside you will see the large nut that holds them on.

With your motor out, plug it in see if its working correctly or not. If it is, try and move your pivots with the arms on to see if they are free or not. If the motors fine then you most likely have a seized pivot, if the pivot seized and you left the motor on you could have also burnt the motor out.

You can get access to the driver side pivot from above the pedals inside the cab. The pass side pivot you can gain access to by removing the electrical junction on the outside of the firewall in the center. Four 1/4 inch bolts hold it on normally with a plastic cover unless its been broke off.

Hope this helps. I've had to do wipers on theses trucks too many times and its definitely one of the worst downfalls of a Western Star.

Cetane+ and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  5. MatthewJ,Kirsch

MatthewJ,Kirsch Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Thanks for that - I do have access now, had already pulled the motor and confirmed the pivots. The only thing I am hung up on is once I have access thru the electrical panel, how to disconnect the pivot itself from the transmission bar. The new part has a ball that looks like it seats in, but is there some kind of pin or clip that holds it together or how does it come apart. As you know there isn't a whole lot of space or visibility with these. Thanks again!

6. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Its just a ball on the pivot with a bushing that snaps in on the bar. Takes some effort and normally smashing knuckles to get them apart.

7. TinkeringTimTime

TinkeringTimTime Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Western star wiprt motor and it's going as it pleases, I shut it off and it goes sometimes it'll stop sometimes it won't?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.