Wireless Carriers?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by sinister4g63, Sep 30, 2010.

1. sinister4g63

sinister4g63 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Hey everybody! Was wondering what Cell phone carriers you everyone is using on road? I am currently on T-Mobile and was looking at the coverage map and the outlook is pretty grim, especially on the west coast.... I really don't want to be somewhere and really need to make a phone call, especially emergencies and not be able to make one. Thanks in advance all!

Matt

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Southern NH
    That is why T-Mobile's nick name is Terrible mobile. It is getting better, but still it lags. But to make up for this, they have some cheap plans...but you get what you pay-for!!
    I have been traveling...professionally for 12+ (non-truck driver) and I have found Verizon about the best...I've used it all over the country from about the western slope of the Rockies to the east coast, into Canada (roaming is $$ there, .$69 per min, so watch out!), and into the Bahamas (no roads going there so it does not matter, but coverage was only on a few of the main islands).
    My friends have said that AT&T has gotten much better in the last few years since they have rebuilt their network...(they were an TDMA carrier, and switched to GSM...which is just the underlying technology.. Sprint and Verizon both use a competing technology, called CDMA).

4. sinister4g63

Aug 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah I have always preferred GSM based networks, never was a big fan of CDMA. I like swapping my sim card and being done with it.... I may keep my phone since I love it to death and buy a phone for Verizon cash off of craigslist and hold onto it while I'm on the road. If the T-Mobile doesn't cut it I can switch right over to Verizon.

5. Comic

Comic Light Load Member

May 6, 2010
    Pinellas Park, FL
    I will suggest verizon.. I use it ( the palm pre, for the internet access point for my lap top) plus i stream audio while I'm driving., my Brother uses it with the droid, so he can watch tv shows on Vcast.

Overall, I have yet to find a spot I can't use my 3g, when I'm not in motion. some times it loses connection, but it's only for a litle bit, then right back to the music ;)

6. sinister4g63

Aug 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks Comic! I was leaning towards Verizon! Because they have the Palm Pre Plus, I looooove WebOS! THere a dozen Pre Plus's on Craigslist for right around 100-150. Get one and activate with no contract.... I do love the hotspot feature to run my netbook! You get your load home yet? When you do get into town let me know, we can BS and get a couple beers. That is if you drink.... never really asked you that lol!

7. wgcarver

wgcarver Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Eastpointe,MI
    AT&T and iPhone junkie here. It's the apps baby. However my Internet connection in the truck for my computers and iPad is a Verizon mifi which also gives me 3G where AT&T doesn't have it. Att has mentioned that they will be expanding their higher speed coverage (beyond 4g) recently and app,e has hinted that when this is ready, so is the iPhone 4.

8. Thehousethatpeterbilt

Thehousethatpeterbilt Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    new jersey
    Verizon phone and internet both great!

9. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I hate all cell phones. But I have Verizonfor both phone and air card.

10. Knew B. Wannabee

Knew B. Wannabee Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Woodland, CA.
    Sprint fan here. They are the only cell phone company I have ever had. They have definitely had their fair share of problems over the 12 years that I've been a customer but they have come a long way. Their coverage and phone selection are the two biggest improvements I can think of. Their rate plans have always been some of the most competitive, and right now they are unmatched when it comes to unlimited plans.

I have an HTC Evo that I also use as my WiFi hot spot / mifi whatever you wanna call it. Works great for getting on the internet with my laptop.

And another bonus as a Sprint customer: Stevens Transport employees receive a 10% discount from Sprint on your rate. You just have to call them and give them your name. Sprint will call Stevens to verify your employment and you wool start sering the discount on your next or second to next bill.

11. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't see how anyone can like Sprint. I currently have a Sprint line and their
    coverage SUCKS a big one. The only reason I keep it is cause it's a company phone.

I also have a Verizon line for my personal use, and there isn't too many places
    where I won't get a signal. I've also had a line with AT&T and I would say their
    coverage is just as good if not better than Verizon. The thing about it is Verizon
    has real good coverage on the West Coast where as AT&T has good coverage on
    the East Coast.

They both have great coverage it's just that I've noticed when you get out in the
    boonies with Verizon and AT&T, one will excel where the other will not.

If I were to go out an get another line it would be with either one Verizon or AT&T.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.