Wiring for a linear amp..

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ArkansasOutsider, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ArkansasOutsider

ArkansasOutsider Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Helena, Arkansas
    Many thanks to all of you for the wealth of information. This is exactly why I try to ask around before I start getting into something new. (Amps, not radios).

As as for your question, kor b, yes. This amp is set up with 2 12 gauge positive leads with 30 amp in line fuses and a 10 gauge negative. I personally watch my tech solder in the new hot leads. (Not sure why there's 2).

The he truck in question is an International 9200i with a 36" sleeper. I intend to mount the amp in the hole for the driver side glove box over head. Probably looking at 20' feet or so to hide the wire and reach the battery box.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Remember to protect wire against rubs or pinch points. Seen guy zip tie to back of sleeper so tight it yanked wire out.

4. ArkansasOutsider

Oct 17, 2014
    Helena, Arkansas
    Absolutely. There's plenty of slack in the ties to run from the battery box along the main wiring harness to the engine compartment. Haven't had time to figure out how to get from there to the inside of the cab, but once I get that far, I plan to run the wires under the interior panels to reach the hole. Currently, the small amp I'm using now (Galaxy 225) is wired to the master power and ground posts for the fuse panel. Naturally, this Palomar 600 pulls too much current for that. Heard all sorts of horror stories about drivers doing this. One good long draw and the whole computer goes *PHHFFT* *sizzle*
    The driver I got it from powered it with 10 gauge stranded and even had both power leads to one wire. Even the tech that built it said that was fine, just don't sit there and "preach a sermon". Carrying on a normal alternating conversation is fine.

5. ArkansasOutsider

Oct 17, 2014
    Helena, Arkansas
    Trying to post a picture of the wires so we'll all be on the same page

6. ArkansasOutsider

Oct 17, 2014
    Helena, Arkansas
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Might be a good time to look over ant set up. With a increase in power any weak spots will show themselves. That gets expensive if you start poping pills.

8. ArkansasOutsider

Oct 17, 2014
    Helena, Arkansas
    Yep. That brand new 10" Wilson 2000 antenna was bad. Ran it for a couple days not talking much. According to my colleagues, both my audio quality and power output suffered. Yesterday I dug out my old Cobra 29 so I could check it. Dead keyed for about half a second and got a fault light. SWR checked over 3. Immediately stopped and started hunting for connection problems, coax problems, etc. nothing. Finally put my old warped 5" Wilson 2000 back on and everything checked perfect. Hooked the General back up and I'm back in business. Really disappointed about that antenna though. Never heard of one of those being bad right out of the plastic.

Any suggestions on an antenna? I really like my Wilson. That's why I went with another one. Went with the 10" base to get the coil above the cab roof. Still doesn't clear the sleeper roof, but figured it couldn't hurt. Wanted a 10" blue coil, but can't find one anymore, so went with a white one. Can't really use anything fiberglass, too much of a breaking risk. Don't like those big gaudy looking heavy coil antennas some truckers use even though they have no where NEAR enough radio to need it.

Thanks again.

9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Go with a big gaudy looking but NOT heavy Predator 10k and don't look back..

Striker (not the radio company) is another good one out of OKC, but his antennas use to be quite heavy not sure about now..

062 Thanks this.
  10. Tall Mike

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
  11. Tall Mike

Aug 20, 2014
    New York

no joke, this hobby can be a money pit !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.