with $40k capital, lease or pay cash for truck & trl

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by " OPTIMUS PRIME ", Oct 5, 2010.

1. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    I know guys that have done it that way too. Buy a decent looking truck for $5K - $10K, and then drag it down to the shop for a fresh motor at $20K. If you are already leased on or have your own authority "its all good". But, if your buying the truck and THEN your going to go find a job. That older truck severely limits who will let ya lease on. Companies like Landstar don't care what year the truck is, I think they judge them on a truck-by-truck basis. Just as long as it will pass a DOT inspection they'll sign you on. But, the vast majority of the Big Box Companies want a truck that's only a few years old at the very most.

Not sure where you can get a whole rear end, or even a chunk put in on the road for $1.5K? You might be able to buy an "unknown" rear end from a junk yard for under $2K. Not too many places are gonna sell ya one and install it for that kind of money. Not to mention getting you back on the road by the next day. Not very likely at all. Of course if he had been home when it happened he could have definitely saved some money by using a familiar shop, but not out on the road, no way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Independent

Independent Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Found this used front/rear AA for $429.00 right off the bat, saw a 2009 axle assembley complete with pumpkin for right around $1.8k.....Sure is a lot less than $5500. And this is only one online operation, there's tons of salvage yards willing to bargain for your business that don't advertise online.

The point is used parts is cheap. Anyone can choose to pay more, it's a free country, but it will cost ya.

Yeah you wont get back on the road the next day, but, is that worth $5,000 to ya, to get on the road the next day? If I ain't getting $7.5k or more for the load, it can wait, or someone else can hook it up and run it for me, I'm not blowing $4k to deliver a load on time that nets me $1.5 to $2.5k, no #### way.

4. " OPTIMUS PRIME "

" OPTIMUS PRIME " Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Driver Seat
    looking to puchase

5. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Uh oh.......

:biggrin_25524::biggrin_2556:

mslashbar Thanks this.
  6. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2010
    woodbury,nj
    Don't forget, your truck would never run off with the pool boy, or tell you how much of a dumb ### you are!:biggrin_2559:

7. slowpoke69

Dec 5, 2010
    woodbury,nj
    Looks pretty clean from where I'm sitting! If that's your ride, you done good son! Now GET BAcK TO WORK DRIVER, and treat her right!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  8. slowpoke69

Dec 5, 2010
    woodbury,nj
    UH-OH, now you got someones drawers twisted! I doubt it's a matter of him being sexist, all people are to some extent, anyone that's been around their husband/wifes friends knows that. Some of the stuff I've heard come out of the mouth of my wife and her GF's would surprise alot of people. Men say it, women say it, ya gotta let some stuff slide there Linda Lou, life's WAY to short to be bent about nothing, chill, go run through a few gears, you'll feel better, works EVERY time!:biggrin_2555:

9. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Dad-gum, She wants dino to go broke and to rot in hell for that little comment............. Dangit woman!!!!!! Seems a little severe to me. Must be that t.....Oh never mind, I don't want her wishing all that on me. LOL!!!!! Hope I didn't pizz in your wheaties Linda lou.

10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Linda lou i no how you feel! Because i hate it when someone tell me dont take this the wrong way cause i aint predijuce. Cause that a key phrase for i'm getting ready to insult you.
    With that said when ever time i complain to my wife about $$ she spent. She says come on, your a trucker you should no if it got ti*ts or tires it's gonna cost ya

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  11. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Pardon me ma'am, but it isn't "lerin'," it's "larnin'," or possibly "learnin'." Please learn to intentionally misspell correctly.

There are some folks on this forum whose upbringing wasn't conducive to having perfect written sentence structure as adults, but that doesn't mean they don't have something to offer here, and it doesn't make them "stupid and untrained." Some of them had to work to help support their families from a very young age and are fortunate to be literate at all. Despite their lack of formal education, they've grown up to be knowledgeable and successful, sometimes in more than one line of work.

Samuel Clemens once wrote, "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." Don't let your schooling get in the way of being educated by people who have less of it than you.

Paddletrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.