Wondering About You Truckers' Previous Careers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by TamedCynic, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 58Skylane

58Skylane Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Cody, WY
    School days: Lawn mowing boy and newspaper route

2 months after I graduated from High School on my 18th birthday, I jumped in my dad's friends truck to learn how to drive. Been a trucker ever since and never regretted it. Just like it says in the "Chicken Lights and Chrome" song......... "Long haul trucker is all I'll ever be"!

However, some days I wish I went into the Air force to fly the big iron (C-5 or other cargo ships). Kinda wish I was a airline or corporate pilot, too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kindle

Kindle Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    USMC
    Framer/Framing Contractor (until sf prices dropped through the subfloor)
    Hourly Framing/Remodel/Home Repair/Fix-n-flipped one house on my own, quite a few for others)
    Now in CDL school and looking forward to the career change. I've read there forums A LOT and know the job is not for everybody. I did a lot of research and paid for school with my own money (I opted for Sage in Henderson, CO and it's been a good choice in my opinion). I'm single so no worries about any family problems. I'm also something of a hermit so alone most of the times is just fine. I think the job will suite me just fine.

58Skylane Thanks this.
  4. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

I was a chronically broke and fatigued full-time college student who also put in 40 hours a week on the nightshift. I finally had enough and began driving at age 21, the minimum age allowed by law to drive interstate. I finally did go back and finish that degree, and without needing to work my way through, my grades were much higher.

Although, I returned to trucking because my management degree brought half the annual income that my trucking career brought. Plus, as an owner/op I don't have to answer to some control freak boss who acts like they own me.

5. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Previous careers?
    1967-Bag boy, Army exchange, Fort Shafter, Hawaii
    1968-Gas station attendant, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
    1969-USN (retired 1989)
    1989-J.B.Hunt transport, out of Vancouver, Wa.
    1990-2011: Various Teamster positions (layed off and retired in 2011)
    2011-Market Transport, Puyallup, Wa.
    2011-Hawkins Enterprise (contractor)
    12/28/2012: Retired again (Hopefully for the last time)

6. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    I was a Multi Billionaire Playboy until Obama's election.

7. NDBADLANDS

NDBADLANDS Medium Load Member

May 8, 2010
    ND
    Hate when that happens:biggrin_25523:, Reality and all that paying the bills stuff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.