Word from the Grapevine about Covenant

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by OpenRoadGuy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. OpenRoadGuy

OpenRoadGuy Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2010
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    I'm currently going through Northampton College's driver training course, and two of their graduates dropped in to say hi to the instructor. They both took the course during the winter and graduated sometime in January of this year.

I struck up a conversation with one of the graduates. He's a driver for Covenant. Get this. The guy is driving as part of a team and the *truck* gets 28 cents per mile. That means this guy only gets 14 cents per mile as a team driver!!! Considering that most companies give you *more* for being a team driver since it helps their bottom line, 14 cents per mile is incredibly low.

That means this must be a company with relatively new equipment that they purchased with higher interest loans and they are using the drivers to pay it off. It also must mean they have to settle for drivers with poor driving records which means they have to pay much higher insurance premiums.

I would have to wonder if this isn't a company that is headed to the good ole scrap heap in the sky. Not sure the company would make it to heaven though if that happens. :biggrin_2556:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    That is 14 cents for every mile the truck turns I believe......

4. Repo

Repo Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2010
    IBT
    He even makes $0.14 a mile when he is sleeping. $0.28 is really low, not bad for a rookie I guess.

5. big wheels

big wheels Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    florida-USA
    It is only .14 a mile after you are off the trainer truck. For every mile the truck runs. and .15 after 6 months and .16 for 1 year.

If you can go some where else please do. If not. If you can live on 400 to 500 a week. Than it might work. for a rookie.

You do not have a steady miles that goes from week to week. No budget.

There is alot of nice people at covenant. But when it comes to dispatchers they seem to be new out what there doing. and leave you hanging from time to time.

HeckIGot2Go! Thanks this.
  6. OpenRoadGuy

OpenRoadGuy Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2010
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Yeah that's .14 cents per every mile the truck is rolling. As I said, they get .28 cents per mile and split it. Um, that is an incredibly low amount of money. U.S. Express starts at .36 cents per mile and while that is only what *you* drive, that is still over 1.5 times the amount.

Let's say they do 4,000 miles per week which is very doable with a team. They would be making about $560 per week before taxes as team drivers. That is patently ridiculous.

7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I hear some Cov. team drivers say they are making 6000 miles per week. Are they lying??

8. Unclehams

Unclehams Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2010
    The only issue I take with team driving and whats going to suck while with a trainer at Swift is, I wanna be one of them truckers who gabs on the CB all the time. Seriously, I can't remember how many times My uncle got pissed on my ride alongs with him when I would spend litterly hours just gabbing nonsense on the cb.

9. DXJ702

DXJ702 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I have been with Covenant for 7 months now. Pay is $0.14 per dispatched mile. Not counting breakdowns, I have been getting between 3,000 and 6,000 miles a week, typically 4,200. There is also a monthly $125 for school reimbursment. Quarterly they pay an additional $0.02 per dispatched mile safety bonus if you have NO accidents.

HeckIGot2Go! Thanks this.
  10. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Quit surmising about things you don't know. Actually, this is a higher than normal rate for new teams. i.e., CRST pays 0.22 per truck mile.
    No, I don't think they're using the drivers to pay off high interest loans. No they are not going broke.
    Yes, you are a snot nose, know nothing student that hasn't gotten his feet wet yet, so stick to what you know and not stupid rumors.
    This industry is tough enough without crap like this.
    (and no...I don't drive for and never have driven for Covenant)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.