Work History Question--Any Chance?

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by farmboy73, Dec 5, 2015.

1. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I did search the threads and found references here and there on this topic as it relates to Maverick. However, I wanted to post this to see I anyone has a more similar situation. I am not interested in subjective debate as much as I am just experiences or facts as you may know them.

Here are my facts. I had a successful career in the white-collar world from the early 90's until 2013. I was with my last employer for over 9 years. After making plans for quite some time in preparation, I voluntarily left that career to pursue personal interests and spend time traveling extensively with my family. We planned for that period to last somewhere between 2 - 4 years and I am now approaching the 2.5 year point.

During that period, I have had no formal employment, by choice. (We do file a farm tax return, but we did that while I was employed also.) My previous work history was solid, and I was fortunate to experience success in my field.

I have been interested in OTR flatbed trucking for a long time, and it has been on the list of possible future pursuits. That interest has evolved to the degree that I am exploring options to determine whether or how to move forward.

I have read that Maverick as well as some other companies (that hire inexperienced drivers) will not consider someone in my situation, regardless of why or the fact that you planned for it financially and chose it voluntarily.
    1. Is that accurate?
    2. What other companies fall into this category?
    3. Is there a way to reason with a decision maker?
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
  4. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Thread moved.

5. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    Your best bet would be to talk to some recruiters for companies that you are interested in working with. Let them advise you as to how to proceed.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Farming is work. Probably one of the hardest jobs one can do. I would use that as employment. They aren't going ask if you leased it all out to another farmer and went on an extended vacation. Or if you farmed one acre or 10,000.

farmboy73 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.