Working For Central Ref.

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by lonesome_dove, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I drive a Prostar Limited lol, no fridge. Just a very large sleeper with nothing in it but the largest bed I have had in a truck. By a full 2 inches each way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    because you don't want a fridge or there isn't any room? You know with that extra large bed.

4. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I cannot afford one, and none comes with the truck.
    The bed is not really that large, but it is bigger than I have had in a while, at least longer and a few inches wider.
    I have a hole where it is supposed to go. But it is empty.
    The trucks my company spec's have almost 0 storage, just allot of empty space.

5. leadfoot916

leadfoot916 Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2010
    ca
    "Can't afford one" are you a central L/O or what? Lol
    For real though not the best sign..

6. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Correct; the LEASE TRUCKS are "Limited", the company trucks are "EAGLE" And
    the Limited is International's Top Of The Line.

7. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I messed up, mine is the base model premium.
    I wish it was a limited, or even an eagle.

I work for Heartland. The issue with buying a fridge is the price.
    My company will not allow inverters in the trucks. So I cannot use a dorm room type fridge. I would have to buy one made for a truck, and the good ones that are not just coolers start at over 500 bucks.
    I just cannot see spending that on a fridge. Plus since I do not own the truck I do not like to have more stuff in it than needed.
    So If I get pissed and quit, or get fired for some reason, I can fit everything I have in the truck in a couple bags.
    I am not out more than 2 weeks at a time, so I do not need massive amounts of stuff.

8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Does Central allow inverters? Do you know? I was thinking about fixing food in the truck and using one for a crock pot or Foreman Grill.

9. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Central allows them, up to a set size. You should be ok for most things.
    They like to do the install though, and will charge a fee for it.
    This way they know it is wired properly, with a fuse in the proper place etc.
    I do not blame them at all. I have seen quite a few trucks burn to the ground due to inverter shorts, or over heats.

This is why my company will not allow them. One too many trucks burned to the ground due to an ignorant driver plugging a power strip into a small inverter and drawing way too much power.
    My company is 100% self insured, we have 0 actual insurance. All claims are paid fully by the company. This is for accidents and for loads.
    They are also 100% debt free though. One of the very few company's that own all there trucks, and replaced most of them over the down turn. Also made a profit for every quarter the whole time.

One big reason I came here is due to a very good business model. I was laid off from the small flatbed company I was with, and I did not want to go to any company that I had to be concerned about them making it till the economy turns around.

10. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Gotcha - I thought we could do one that plugged into a 'lighter' - but I guess not... will they allow that if we aren't leasing and just running a company truck?

11. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    The lighter ones are coolers.
    They work ok, but will not keep food at a set temp. Just about 20 degrees cooler than the air around the cooler.
    This is ok for drinks and things but food can go bad.

MissGG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.