Working for Landstar

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by nirvan5a, May 20, 2015.

1. nirvan5a

nirvan5a Bobtail Member

May 4, 2011
    Is it more profitable to run as an owner operator under the authority of Landstar or to run under your own authority using Landstar as just a broker?
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tom 7610

Tom 7610 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Landstar will tell you that they take care of their drivers but that is a lot of hip. O/O are call BCO's and their Brokers are call agents. Landstar will always will always stand behind their agents and 65% of the are out to screw you out of you earnings. Landstar BCO's also has fee's for everything you can will pay as much as $275.00 a week in different fee's and insurance you have to buy only through them. Hogie a Landstar Agent will lease you a used trailer for $188.00 per week. That's a great deal right? Save your money and get you own authority.

4. Breeze54

Breeze54 Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Thinking about leasing to Landstar with 53 ft. Step deck.I have been in oilfield in Louisiana with oil prices low like it is I need to do something. Just looking for input on landstar

5. truckfam

truckfam Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    We gave up our authority to go OTR. I'm not sure I would want our own authority these days. We hauled cattle and gave it up, just before everyone went bankrupt.

It was more money under our own authority.

It's less stressful to run as an O/O with LS. So many tax issues and other things are involved, as well. We've never run under our own authority with LS. Too much paperwork and ####.

6. PGALLC

PGALLC Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Spartanburg SC
    Im thinking to buy new 53ft step deck and try to work with landstar, dose anybody know about how much per miles i should aim for ? Driving in USA only

7. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    Aim for $3 a mile. Get some ramps. We run a 48 step. We want $2 a mile. You could take some loads with ramps. If we had a 53' step and some ramps, I could book some loads!

8. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    We used to have our own authority. We hauled cattle and it was more lucrative. Company went bankrupt. How do you think we got here?

You can't run with Landstar and keep your own authority.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Reason for edit: ETA: O/O leased to Landstar. I don't think Landstar would allow that.
  9. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK

10. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    This is the best guy to listen to because he understands English, so well!(not) Read everything! If you're not fluent in English, ask a friend. Don't give anyone money!

11. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    You know jack about English, or having authority. You couldn't read and pass the written portion of the CDL, if your life depended on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.