Working for Schneider while in the National Guard

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by irish16lep, Dec 28, 2012.

1. irish16lep

irish16lep Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I'm a truck driver for the Army and I leave Active Duty in 2014. I was thinking of switching over to the National Guard and get in with Schneider on their Military program. Schneider seems to be the only company I can find that appreciates the Military, so I was wondering if anyone is doing this as well? Is it worth using my Post 9-11 GI Bill with them while working for them? While I'm using it do they actually pay you a good paycheck with crappy miles? Or is it good miles and crappy pay? My uncle says with Schneider your just a number and he's been trucking for years since I was a kid. He told me jump on a company for at least a year to get that experience and then go from there. I wouldn't mind OTR, I just wouldn't like it too much if I'm OTR and then come home just for drill then head back out all the time. It is what it is though. If it matters as well I'll be located in Masschusetts when I get out of the Army. Any information will be great thanks guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    one of the biggest issues I had with driving was being in the guard. Those weekend drills really killed me trying to get home in a timely manner for them.

If they were back to back weekends, good luck getting any miles. It was bad enough that I actually stopped OTR and went local/regional for a few years.

I actually would say being in the guard and being an OTR driver are not really two jobs that go together. I also retired from the national guard too.

But that's just my experience.

rickybobby Thanks this.
  4. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I am currently in the NC Guard, i worked for SNI on the O/O side. I don't know much about how they treat co drivers. I had to leave because i got deployed to Afghanistan. I think they would work with you on getting home for drills, just give them a copy of your drill schedule. The guard paid for my truck driving school. I think they just passed a law, that you can get your license where you are stationed at now. You don't have to get your license in your home state. I would check into that, you might not have to use your GI bill. You could go to school in FT Campbell, maybe they would pay for it , since its a 40hr class. If i don't get into Flat bedding , i am going back to SNI Choice program when i get back. The program is called the (Military CDL act of 2012)

5. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I don't know anything about the van side, but you might also want to check out Schneider bulk if youre OK with that kind of work. Not sure how that would work in MA tho, you'd have to check their website for openings or talk to a recruiter.

OTR is 3 wks out/6 days off. I'm guessing it would work well in your situation. I was in the USMCR a long time ago, but if i were still in, i think this would have worked out fine for me. They've gotten me home on time and if you give yourself a good window (schedule your home time a few days before drill), you should be fine. You should have plenty of time for r&r too. Yes you're just a number, but for a big company its relatively easy to bide your time at Schneider. Just think of it as doing just that -- biding your time; do your job, don't complain and play nice with the boss(es). And when you have enough exp, move on.

EDITED TO ADD: you can also do 2 weeks out and 3 days off (and maybe squeeze a bit more out of it) .. Not much play time with a drill weekend.. But the option is there.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. airdrop

airdrop Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Dover, Delaware
    I transitioned over to the Guard, it's not that hard to be an OTR or regional driver. Look into getting your CDL while on active duty. If you don't mind doing the work TMC also is a veteran friendly company. They also have the military apprenticeship program so you can use your GI Bill or 911 GI bill.
    I was going to head to TMC before I found a local company. You can work your home time and drill time so that you don't lose miles. Go Guard!!!

brooklyn50, Gunz444 and rickybobby Thank this.
  7. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    i dont work for schneider yet but im a regional truck driver, by law they have to get you on time for drill and give you that weekend of plus 10 hours break from last formation before being available for a load.. not getting you to drill will cause the company to be fined 5k (werner learned the hard way) and it wont count as hometime.

brooklyn50 Thanks this.
  8. brooklyn50

brooklyn50 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Maryland

Thanks for your service, soldier.

Regards,

brooklyn50
    USAF

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. brooklyn50

brooklyn50 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Maryland

Thanks for your service, soldier.

Regards,

brooklyn50
    USAF

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  10. Gunz444

Gunz444 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Florida

I agree. Its tough to make that marriage work out. Thanks for your service! Didnt know you were a guardsman. Were you a traditional the whole time or did you do the AGR or Technician thing?

11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Weekend warrior type and retired too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.