working for us company

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by gypsyIII, Jun 4, 2019.

1. gypsyIII

gypsyIII Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2019
    as a canadian can i work for a us company hauling to canada who sold their ltl division meaning they no longer have a canadian address?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Are you subject to Crown Taxes on your earnings outside of Canada?

We are globally obligated to pay the US treasury our taxes on earnings as long we retain citizenship. Should we chose to renounce same, then the United Nations Stateless Persons Council becomes Dominion of the ex citizen.

Any company can work anywhere in any country. I don't see a problem with your question. Just a matter of your taxation and so on.

4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Nope. Not without a green card.

5. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Why can't their Canadian address be your address? IDK just asking.
    Just a phone and a desk seems to me.

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Pretty sure this is not correct (but I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I can't be 100% sure).

There was a member here (Nate) that worked for a door manufacturer in WA. He would drive down, get his truck (WA plated) and load and come back to deliver in the western provinces. Return the truck to the plant in WA, leave the truck and go home. I don't know all the details, but I am certain he did not have a green card.

As an O/O I have had my trucks leased to American carriers and at a few of them there were company drivers that were Canadians. I have also worked for American entities in Canada where they do not have a Canadian address or other business premises. So long as the OP is not working in the US, then he can work for an American company. And so long as he abides by the cabotage rules (both customs and immigration) then he shouldn't have any issues.

7. upnorthwpg

Sep 23, 2011
    I won’t argue with you, but he can’t as s company driver. Lease or broker their freight not sure on that stuff, but not as a company driver.

8. upnorthwpg

Sep 23, 2011
    But hey, if he wants to take the responsibility of paying his taxes, and their paying in us funds go for it!

9. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    All of the Southern Ontario YRC drivers operate out of the Niagara Falls NY terminal. As long as they leave the terminal with a load going into Canada and return from Canada with a load, it is perfectly legal. They are employed by YRC as Canadian drivers. My neighbor drove for YRC for years until he retired.

10. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Upnorth is right here, the rules for both Canada and US immigration are pretty clear, a person wishing to work directly for either a US or Canadian company must have some kind of work status, either citizenship, green card (PR card in Canada), dual status, or native (treaty or band card) in the country where they are employed. The problem is, every border crossing and guard doesn't always observe the same rules, and it is a long border from the Pacific to the Atlantic. So there are many times where a driver is able to get by where his work status doesn't match the plates on his truck, or his paystub. And Quebec crossings are well-known for following different rules from other Canadian crossings... Anyone hoping to work like this is advised to be very, very careful, once "flagged" in either database, your international career become much more complicated...

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.