Working For Werner

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Bobthetrucker, Dec 19, 2009.

1. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    I appreciate this thread. My bf started working for Werner May 09 and have had no problems so far. They do run him hard but so far the dispatcher seems fair, got a dedicated account 8 months after joining and the bf is making decent money and decent home time.

I was worried about him getting into Werner as well because of all the negativity so it's good to see a few positive posts about Werner.

Of course, their terminals leave a lot to be desired, such as efficiency and manners!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC

Stockholm Syndrome? There are some people that are happy in prison. j/k:biggrin_2559:

In reality, you will find people happy at any company. It has to do with expectations, outlook, and what a person is willing to put up with. From what I have read, there are quite a few people happy with Werner. I don't think I would be one of them, but that's just me.

jtrnr1951 Thanks this.
  4. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    After 34 years, you probably would not be very happy with any training company!

5. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC

You got that right!!!

6. Bobthetrucker

Bobthetrucker Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Dallas, Ga
    Hi everyone,
    I tested out a week ago and the very next day I was given a choice of a T600 or a W900. I chose the 2007 W900, black in color and grey interior. The truck has 433,000 miles on it but is remarkably in very good condition. The trucks interior only needed minor cleaning(the previous driver obviously kept it clean).

The terminal manager said the cleaning crew was coming to clean it. I had only heard the horror stories about disgustingly dirty trucks. I didn't think the inside needed much cleaning at all and the only other problem was that the driver door didn't open so I took it down to Kenworth to get repaired. The wait was two days. Now some people would right away complain that they didn't care about me since I wasn't working. I figured I was going to be driving this truck way longer than I would be waiting for it so I took the time to relax. Since I missed the cleaning crew the terminal manager tacked $40 on my paycheck for cleaning. I thought that was nice since there was hardly anything to do.

Since I got the truck I have been to Chicago, Kentucky, Indianapolis and Georgia. The dispatcher and Fleet manager have been very easy to work for, my home time has been approved weekend of the Super Bowl Sunday and I am a happy camper. Feels good to finally be on the road.

Once again I have to say the people from Werner have been very respectful and have given me everything I need to do this job. I think the key to this is communication such as keep it open between you and the dispatch. I know sometimes you can't make some people happy but do the best you can. Be on time and smile a lot. Just remember the smile you give someone may be the only one they have received all day
    and believe me they will remember it I'm sure.

That's all for now. Talk to you later..... Bob

7. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Glad you are off to a good start! I have communicated with different drivers from Werner who were very happy there!

God Bless!

8. JamesC

JamesC Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Hey Bob,

I been with werner for a year now and have had some up's and some down's. The trick is to use the quallcomm to your advantage. Send in the macros for everything.

I have the toughest dispatcher there she will run you as hard as you let her, but when it comes down to safety the right macro will take care of any issues you come across and if all else fails contact safety or driver relations.

I have good weeks and some bad weeks but as long as the truck will run my dispatcher will run me, as for home time, only twice in a year I missed home time and I take 2 days every 2 weeks.

So good luck and have fun.

9. joeschmo111

joeschmo111 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Elkhorn, NE
    There are some people that are happy at werner. Ugh..but that doesnt mean anything, there were people happy in 1940's germany too..If it were the other way around, if the majority of the drivers were happy and werner was a respectable company that didnot violate peoples rights and all you heard was people whining that had no right, then it would be different, that of course isnot the case.You shouldnt have to make the best of it or look at the glass half full etc..I have heard of drivers with werner who have been there for 10 years and are treated similiar to those whove been there 10 weeks. Warm bodies are all drivers are to this company. And you think you're loyal, you are a good driver nothin short of the rubber duck that does everything right, doesnt complain and has no late loads and your company is behind you? Think again, they will screw you and hang you out to dry in a blink of an eye. Werner is dispicable.

Owner's Operator Thanks this.
  10. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Call me lazy but I'd complain too. It's enough work to drive, navigate, park the truck not to mention maintain the log book that unloading should not be the drivers responsibility. I had to finger print a load once and only once, and that is because I ran out of money on the road and didn't want to bother the dispatcher at 4 AM for an advance for a lumper. He paid me $50 for my work though.

I am happy for you that so far things are working out with Werner but don't think that any company (let alone a bottom feeder trucking outfit) cares about you as a person. You are a replacable tool used to line their pockets. If you should have one mishap they will have ZERO problem kicking you to the curb like a dog.

11. Bobthetrucker

Bobthetrucker Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Dallas, Ga
    I finally got home after 6 weeks of training and 2 weeks of driving. Home for four days and it was a great homecoming. I'm back out now so I will report to you in a couple of weeks on what my earning power will be. Bob

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.