Working the numbers!!!

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by PXI Incorporated, Sep 16, 2015.

1. PXI Incorporated

PXI Incorporated Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm asking for some assistance to see if what I am thinking makes sense. I am preparing to lease and have been crunching some numbers taken from a different drivers settlement sheet and adding my own numbers where applicable.

I have figured this out on 2500 miles a week as I would surely hope I'd be running more.

Took my fixed costs (truck payment, insurances, and misc) = $1023/wk

Took that and divided that by 2500 and came up with .41cpm

I then added maintenance and fuel tax and extra maintenance account (for piece of mind. A little extra towards the buisness never hurt) We arrive at (.52cpm) fixed operating cost

I will be receiving fuel discounts through company but figured it @ $3.00/gal but company average is $2.50 right now. I know this will fluctuate as will my MPG which I estimate at 7mpg (2016 T680 w/Paccar) We arrive at a fuel charge of .44cpm

That gives me a total operating cost to the truck on 2500 miles at .96cpm

If we boost that to 3000 miles my operating costs drop to .88cpm

On 2500 miles pay to the truck would be .06cpm + FSC

On 3000 miles pay to the truck would be .14cpm + FSC

Anything over 3000 miles a week would just sweeten the pot.

Now I have estimated on the higher side all my costs so my actual operating cost should be lower. My question is am I doing this correctly to determine my operating costs?

Took weekly fixed $1023 and divided that by 2500 = .41

Added .11 for maintenance and arrived at .52

Fuel: I took 2500 and divided by 7mpg = 357.14 gals

Divide that by price per gal. In this case $3.00 = $1071.43 fuel cost

Fuel cost $1071.43 divided by miles 2500 = .4285 rounded up to .44 for my own estimated costs

Which is how I came up with .96cpm operating costs for the truck.

Does this seem correct?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    Are you planning on paying a salary to yourself or "the driver"?

blacklabel and PXI Incorporated Thank this.
  4. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Also, are you factoring in your fuel surcharge? Employment taxes? Health insurance? Who is tagging the truck? Is there an escrow? Are you setting aside more money than a maintenance account to cover hotels, business expenses and missed income at home in case of a lengthy breakdown?

Hard to tell because your fixed weekly expenses aren't broken down by line item.

PXI Incorporated Thanks this.
  5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Does your pay come out of the .06cpm?

6. gjcarr03

gjcarr03 Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Texas
    One thing I have learned from reading these forums, never depend on the FSC to pay your expenses or yourself! It changes and it's not a guarantee, especially if fuel prices keep dropping.

Ok big boy and PXI Incorporated Thank this.
  7. Itz_Art

Itz_Art Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Keep in mind the down time and cost if you should have any kind of emission system problems. Do a little research on how many guys go out of business because the cost and down time. Is there any particular reason you want a 2016 kw? If your trying to make money the best bet is a pre emissions truck anything 2003 or older or a glider kit.

KB3MMX and PXI Incorporated Thank this.
  8. PXI Incorporated

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    Everything for the truck including all insurances, plates, Qualcomm, escrow, maintenance account, payment ect is all included in the fixed expenses. Everything I'm required to pay except fuel and paycheck and taxes.

The fuel I kept separate as it is and will fluctuate.

The pay to myself will be minimal as I will be investing most of any profit back into my business plan.

I have a unique opportunity as I owe nothing else. I have no family at home, I have no bills. I figure if I can show a true profit at $1.02 mile then I can flourish at $2 and even better at $3.

Let's just call what I'm about to do "a social experiment" lol!!!

9. Itz_Art

Itz_Art Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2015
    So it's a lease not a lease purchase? Just to be clear is the maintenance account flat rate regardless of the issue? I just don't want anyone to sign a lease for a new truck then 6 months into it have 30k saved for maintenance but you spend that and several weeks down because some of those problems a lot of the shops just throw parts at it hoping it gets fixed.

10. PXI Incorporated

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    Very little, as with most start ups, the owner is usually financing his own payroll from his own reserves of cash as most businesses are losing money the first year.

This will be no different. I will be placing whatever income minus very humble living expenses (food, shower) back into my company so as to advance it as quickly as possible

11. PXI Incorporated

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    It is a lease purchase with a balloon of $19,400 at the end. That's $181,400 all said and done.

The maintenance is a flat rate paid per mile. As far as parts being thrown at issues, I won't allow it. That's my business and unneeded costs are not part of my plan. I have a network of resources and knowledge that will minimize this from happening including but not limited to diagnostics software as well as professional mechanics which happen to be personal friends and available to me 24/7. My truck will be diagnosed prior to making arrangements to be towed to local shop for repair and I'll have a pretty good idea of what needs to take place. I'm not OK with how these shops just waste our hard earned money.

TruckerNerd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.