Working the numbers!!!

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by PXI Incorporated, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Itz_Art

Itz_Art Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2015
    If you do some research on the Detroit series 60 you will find that these engines are virtually bullet proof. Oh and they usually go around 1.4 million before a rebuild is needed. I'm not saying they don't have problems but I can guarantee that a new emission engine will cost more to maintain and repair if something goes wrong. Anything newer than 2003 except for a glider will have and egr or worse the dpf and def. the whole idea of getting a brand new truck sounds great but, like I said previously the facts don't lie. I have a buddy that just purchased a 2000 Volvo 770 with a series 60 for $10000. He has put about the same into it for other things but no engine work over the course of several months while he is working it. With no mods other than tires, he is doing 7.65 just by driving slow. Now your willing to spend 182k on a truck to make .06 take home?? I spent 40k on mine. It comes down to the numbers. If you can get a truck for 10/50k that's pre emissions that has the potential to do well over 8mpg why on earth would you spend 200k on something that not only you'll get worse mpg but, your cost of doing business will be higher, why wouldn't you choose the route that will make you more money? Have you called some shops or asked your questions on fb? Research shows that a pre emission Detroit series 60 will cost about .08cpm over the course of 1+million including a rebuild. Cat and cummins both p/e are around .08/.12 and some of these guys with dpf/def are around 30cpm. The smartest thing to do is drive an old truck make a pile of money buy a brand new glider and put a series 60 in it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PXI Incorporated

PXI Incorporated Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    I like this approach. You must forgive me as I wasn't aware what a glider was. I have done my research since your post and have come up with a slightly different approach.
    Looking at some new gliders I'm still in the $125,000 range before financing. What I am possibly considering is this. Leasing the new truck, after 6 months lease a used truck that I can purchase in 12 months. Use that tractor as my down payment on a 2015 T680 glider.... With a Detroit 60 of course.
    What do you think about that :)

There are some personal reasons why I'm attaching myself to the new truck to start as well as the company I'm leasing to. In 6months I'll be straight. In 1yr and 6 months I'll be an O/O. With my business plan and my new found info on gliders, in 5 years I'll be a small fleet owner.
    "Dream big, as even if you only accomplish half, you'll have accomplished more then most" ~ me

Itz_Art and Wickedfire77 Thank this.
  4. Itz_Art

Itz_Art Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I believe your on the right track but let me ask you this: why spend money and a lease for 6 months or even a week to just walk away? Are you currently a company driver? How much trucking experience do you have? Most importantly how much business experience do you have? I'm glad you did some searching but don't stop there keep doing that. Make learning everything you can about being an o/o your first priority. Kevin Rutherford has some great learning programs which you can find at letstruck.com. 95% of what I have learned has come from him and others like him. I highly recommend spending the next couple weeks learning, asking and, researching as much as possible. Don't jump into a lease until you have learned as much as possible. Having the mind set of I can walk away if I fail is terrible, put the odds in your favor. A little more advise on finding that perfect truck, don't look for reasons why you want it, look for reasons why you don't want it. Little things can be changed later so if the truck doesn't have the right price, engine, history(rigdig), transmission, or gear ratio don't buy it. There is so much more to buying s truck other than just crunching the numbers on a lease purchase plan.

PXI Incorporated Thanks this.
  5. Itz_Art

Itz_Art Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Honestly the best way to become on owner operator is to save your money, buy a cheap fuel efficient truck, save even more money then buy a new glider.

6. PXI Incorporated

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    I've been trucking for over 15 yrs. Over 2 million miles. And have plenty of business sense. I am learning every day about trucking and business and making it my job to succeed.

As far as leasing for 6 months and walking away? That's not what I meant. What I was saying is that my situation is pretty different then most.

I read on here posts by others and in other threads of pure ignorance. I love the posts from drivers who reference bad credit with bad business. Not always do they have to do with each other. The reason I have to get a new truck is because the initial incentive is there from the dealer. It will benefit me in the very short term which I need. After 6 months of a 6 year lease agreement I can turn in the new truck and sign a new agreement which gets me out of the old 6 year lease and into another truck lease with different terms.

So I'm taking advantage of the new truck incentives to start, after 6 months and those incentives are exhausted I will then terminate that lease with the option of entering into an older truck.

The older truck can then be purchased after a year and it would have dropped my weekly payments in half.

Also I have no mindset that I can walk away if I fail. I have no mindset of failing as its not an option. Whatever sacrifices I have to make to keep my business in the black will be made.

I'm going to go check out some of those references you mentioned and continue my learning :)

And no, I'm not a company driver right now either.

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  7. Itz_Art

Itz_Art Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2015
    What are the incentives? Did you lol at equity's lease program and do the math of how much more money you can make? All their trucks are gliders with the Detroit 60 with 10 or 13 transmissions. 262.40 truck payment each week plates ifta and insurance are $25/40/65. So your costs are already lower and the odds are in your favor from the start. Fuel discounts at loves are 25/40cpg off pump price. Your maintenance cost are a set .15cpm (paid miles) and that is a bumper to bumper warranty. Yes that means if your engine goes in three weeks, they put you in a loaner free of charge and rebuild yours or replace it. Now the lease is usually 3 to 4 years but you can pay it off early. The pay starts at .90cpm all miles and fsc on loaded miles. Once you pay off the truck you move to $1.16 all miles plus fsc loaded and you pay your own maintenance. So that means you'll have 3 to 4 years or sooner to get your truck pristine bumper to bumper at a fixed rate of .15cpm. Now if the incentives are better at the dealer I want to know. I guarantee you will make more money and spend less on repairs doing a lease like equity's vs buying a new truck from a dealer.

PXI Incorporated and Wickedfire77 Thank this.
  8. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    Someone is going to accuse you of being a recruiter. Lol

9. Itz_Art

Itz_Art Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I'm not. I'm just trying to show this guy there are much better ways of making money and getting a truck of your own.

PXI Incorporated and Wickedfire77 Thank this.
  10. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I know.
    Sometimes you can't corrupt the vision in someone's mind of perfection .

11. PXI Incorporated

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    First gentleman, I believe that you have taken my posts out of context.
    I thanked both of you for all your knowledge and suggestions and have never disputed your own business plans or anything you have posted.
    I enjoy and heed all of your advise and am looking at many different options and have not signed anything as of this post.
    As far as incentives go from the new deeler? They are offering around $5000 cash paid to me from day one of the lease agreement with the availability of terminating that lease after 6 months with the explicit consent of me having to sign another with the same leasee on any truck of my choosing.
    Now I understand that your company offers the gliders and I have looked into them as well as your company and have not ruled them out as a potential employer/business partner but like I said, I am looking into many options and going to make the best decision I can.
    I have no dreams of grandeur when it comes to any company or leasee unless their name was identical to mine but then it would be my company and my leases I'd be writing myself.
    I understand and believe neither of you are recruiters and that both of you have nothing but my best interests in mind as well as for yourself.
    There are many more questions I'd like to ask you both about Equity if you are willing to continue your help.

Wickedfire77 and Itz_Art Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.