Working under the Stars

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by authentic251, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Oh man they need to get going on those self-driving trucks so you guys can go back to tailgating pallets and signing stacks of BOL's lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. authentic251

authentic251 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Wow!! I started this thread 5 yrs ago and am just now about to actually take a graveyard shift. :biggrin_25523: Any more tips?
    So far:
    Blackout curtains
    Some form of sleep aid (melatonin)
    Strict sleep schedule
    Healthy diet
    Anything I'm missing?
    Anything to keep you alert on the road?

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  4. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Keep the coffee tank full! Get out and walk around occasionally. I enjoy listening to audiobooks when I’m driving at night. Never was really on a set schedule, sometimes I roll out at 5:00 AM, other times it might be 9:00 PM, the nice part is, I can sleep about anytime… I did a gig for a while where I worked a full time job and drove for a friend of mine at night. Made good money, but after a full day of work, then hopping in the truck and knowing you have 650 miles to make before 8 when you need to be back at work, it gets tiring. That was very rarely a back to back run, most I ever ran in a week was 3. Looking back on that, I think my guardian angel was holding my hand on the wheel sometimes. My wife would call before she went to bed, and that would usually keep me awake for a while after she hung up. I also found nibbling on some kind of salty snack to help if I got drowsy. You will learn to love driving at night over the day. Keep caffeine of some sort with you. I am NOT sensitive to caffeine, likely because I am a 6-10 cup of coffee a day guy, but I’ve heard of some people who can’t sleep if they have coffee 5-6 hours before they go to bed. Tend to think that is pretty rare, but not sure! :dontknow: Only problem with coffee is that it can lead to more pit stops….

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    authentic251 Thanks this.
  5. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Personally I wouldn’t use melatonin, it makes me feel groggy when I wake up. That might just be me tho. I do my best to maintain proper sleep schedule of 8-10 hours, I use a eye mask to help sleep during the day, buttchug a monster or similar source of caffeine upon waking, make sure to eat breakfast and at least a snack during shift, and I keep the windows cracked / ac running. On the few occasions I get too tired, I’m not afraid to pull it over for a nap.

authentic251 Thanks this.
  6. Lumper Humper

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Oh one last thing you could do is find a trucking buddy or 2 who can talk your ears off, use them as a last resort before napping LOL

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ear plugs. I'm a light sleeper, and ear plugs saved the day,,,or night for me.

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    This advice right here helped me more than anything when I ran nights. I had a former co-worker (amazing storyteller) who was well known to be lying if his lips were moving, but he kept me awake many a night God Rest his soul. The 30-60 minute naps helped me also.

9. Lumper Humper

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I know this psychopath who is hardcore into nerdy stuff. I can call this dude and he’ll explain different board games or video games for hours lmao. Kinda wack but if I’m tired then it’s just interactive radio for me to stay up to.

Banker Thanks this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Whatever it takes to stay awake and make the night pass quicker.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Art Bell used to keep me up at night, :biggrin_25524:, was way down on the am dial, like 540?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.