Worst area by planners....

Discussion in 'Swift' started by KevinUnserJr, Feb 24, 2011.

1. KevinUnserJr

KevinUnserJr Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm sure this will get 5 pages in a day...but was just wondering if drivers have traveled the country enough, can tell where they seem to get planned really well, and if there are areas in the country that seem to stand out as far as being planned by a bunch of monkeys?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Lancaster = Monkeys

4. KevinUnserJr

KevinUnserJr Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    So far whoever does the east coast states (VA?) sure sucks.

I dont like going east of the Smokey's, but it was a 500 mi run, and i was going to complete it in time to make the next settlement, so i took it. I head to the terminal, and get a preplan for 100 mi...p/u in richmond sears, and del. in Chesapeake, VA. I decline it saying notes on my truck say i want to head west or south....and i need miles. So they give the load back to me, and stack it up with a 500 mi from extreme northern NC going to Ohio. So i do the 100 mi load..."live" on both ends....burns up 7 hrs of my day. I have a 73xxxxx series trailer. I go MT on the sears load, only to have my macro rejected because the next load dont take 10+ year old trailers.

now it would have been me....but if i plan a driver on a stack, sitting in a terminal, and i know the shipper on the 2nd load wont take 10+ yr old trailers, and i know the driver is sitting on a 11 year old trailer....i'd send a message to the driver to say "hey, you need to swap for a newer MT for your 2nd load".

they unplan me, and end up, 45 min. later...get me a load going to memphis.

5. RobertSmith

RobertSmith Medium Load Member

well, I just sat for 6 hours here in marysville,oh because swift couldn't produce a PU number for my load. I wasn't the only swift sitting and waiting for this. Finnaly my dm just took the load of me and i left there property. They then sent me a preplan for a 110 mile run. I wrote my dm and said noway not after this mornings bs, give me miles. He sent a message to the planners and I got a 1600 mile run (this includes mt miles) from wv to laredo tx, Never been to laredo, but from what I hear, I expect to sit there for awhile.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Where is Wisconsin planned out of? Not saying anything bad just wondering.

7. Time

Time Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    If you get a chance, sit down with your DM and ask to have a look at the planning screen. Even better, if you drive out of a planning terminal, talk with the planner and see how it works.

It's very simple and it's easy to understand how planning can be very "hit or miss". The next load, in order of priority goes to the next truck in order of availability. It isn't as though there's a list of trucks on one side of the screen with a list of loads on the other and the planner playing matchmaker in the middle. The load pops up already paired to a truck and, unless there are a bunch of red numbers flashing, the planner strokes a key and sends you a preplan. There could be 50 plans sent out in a matter of a few minutes and there'll be a few plans he knows will have to be refined. Beyond that, the only info he'll have to process is the refusals and a DM's statement in support or confusion for a refusal.

Beyond that, short mile, ridiculous and impossible plans happen. The best advice I can offer is to do whatever you can to get the load delivered . . that's the bread and butter around here. Then, beyond that, ask for a back up or other dispensation. Planners can be stingy and planners can be grateful. Try to stay on the grateful side.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  8. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I have been known to piss off the Jonestown bunch.

9. Dealjobber

Dealjobber Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I heard other drivers refer to Lancaster as the "black hole".

Sat for almost 4 days after I was avaiable from having to take a SIM class in Mira Loma, so for me, that was my longest period sitting while being completely available. Lancaster came in 2nd with 3 days.

IN PA, though, I sat for one day, then got a relocation move to Charleston, SC, so at least I got an excuse to move there.

10. Time

Time Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I wanted to add that I've heard it both ways . . Planning terminals have an incentive, so to speak, for planning their own trucks first. While it may or may not be true, (LANCASTER! ATLANTA! FONTANA!) if it is done, it has to be done manually. I have watched manual planning on my own truck often enough to know that it can be time consuming. In much the same way as your evaluations include fuel route vs off route, the planners evaluation would include on and off optimizer planning. If it's being done systematically, the planner will be held to account for it.

11. bluebonn

bluebonn Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    My DM showed me a screen that was a map of the U.S. It showed where the freight was currently hot. Is This the planning screen?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.