Worst places for 18 wheelers to drive

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by stylicho, May 6, 2007.

1. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    PRICELESS LOL:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. elliott

elliott Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Yep. Totally agree with this. Miami is the second worst city on my list, just behind Montreal. I've only been to Toronto once, and from that experience, I say it beats most of our cities as far as congestion, also. However, I-70 eastbound into Denver can get backed up at times, even in nice weather. It usually happens on Sunday afternoons/evenings, when Denver-people are coming out of the mountains from their weekend getaway.

Yep. That's how to drive Chicago. I've done 65mph and I was still getting passed on both sides!:biggrin_2554: I've had cops pass me while I'm at 65mph and cars are passing them!!:biggrin_2554::biggrin_2554::biggrin_2554: Left lane, right lane, middle lane - it doesn't matter in Chicago! Just as long as you can stay with the flow...if it's flowing, that is!:biggrin_25523:

4. daytona45

daytona45 <strong>"Student of Misdirection"</strong>

May 19, 2007
    north little rock
    Well in my brief experience so far my vote is for chattaroy hollow in west Virginia.One road in and one road out. We deliver to this place 84 lumber there the road that is so narrow I had a train worker in a pickup truck run blockade for me to get there. I was thinking have they lost there mind who would build a store in the middle of nowhere.You add rain and fog and mountains it gets my vote as my most sphincter tightening moment so far still make me nauseas to think about.:iroc:

5. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    yeah west viriginia is good for those little one way roads

well an 84 lumber out there means they are trying to build somethin:yes2557:

6. RAINMAKER

RAINMAKER Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Grandview,Texas
    Per Capita,definitely The Nations Worst Drivers!!!

7. tammytell

tammytell Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2007
    tulsa,ok
    :biggrin_25513:A tlanta what a mess.
    N ew york city willl give you a test
    Y psalanti in the winter time will freeze you to death

W ashington d.c. better have lot's of time.
    H ouston,3 in the mornin' you'll be just fine
    E verywhere in ohio where at 56 you'll get a ticket
    R iverside ca. I'd like to tell them where to stick it
    E very city in the U.S. at rush hour

8. vino

vino Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Abita Springs, Louisiana
    Spoken like a true Florida driver. Sometimes u have to drive that way especially in Orlando.

9. wanderingson

wanderingson Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Milw,WI
    I'd put Chicago near the top of my list. Driving the city streets is no picnic. There are low bridges everywhere. Plus most 4 wheelers are just plain rude in that town.

10. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman <strong>"Positive Pessimist"</strong>

Aug 4, 2007
    Amarillo Tx
    I hate and despise them all but I have put D/FW at the top of my list mainly cause I have to go through there so often during rush(demolition derby) hour. Second is trying to escape Terminal Island CA in late afternoon.

11. Big Red

Big Red Lonestar

Nov 11, 2007
    Of my hometown area...D/FW...a few tips should be followed when in the area.

The most common mistake is to take the short route...ie thru the middle. If you're going East to West or vice versa...especially on I-30...and at anything remotely close to rush hour. Find your atlas and look at it for your options, and as soon as you can, get on I-20 and go that way. It's a bit longer, but it's quicker.

Same for North and South. If you're going thru D/FW from somewhere in south Texas like Laredo or Austin, take I-35 W and go thru FW...it's shorter, not to mention quicker.

If you just gotta go thru the middle, plan ahead and know your exits and have good directions.

I drive local here, and it's a PITA, but it's survivable if you're smarter than average.

As for Houston, anybody remember the movie Independence Day??? The part where they NUKED Houston to get rid of the alien ship???

I stood up and started clapping...I wasn't alone either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.