Would I be better off getting my permit in NJ first?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by IronFreakinMaiden, Sep 2, 2010.

1. IronFreakinMaiden

IronFreakinMaiden Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2010
    As I have posted before, I hit Prime on the 21. However, I've been studying the NJ manual to death and have the money to get my permit here. I'm just wondering if that would make things easier. I'm betting it will but because it is a different state, I thought I would ask first. I think it's $125 to get it here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO

I'm pretty sure it's cheaper in MO, but then again, it never hurts to be ahead of the game, and I always advise to have your permit before coming if MO accepts it. Talk to your recruiter to find out if MO will accept the NJ permit.

IronFreakinMaiden Thanks this.
  4. MtnDweller

MtnDweller Light Load Member

One thing to keep in mind. If NJ is a state that issues a temp paper license and mails the hard copy to you, make sure you get your permit in a timely fashion. Prime will not accept the paper copy.

5. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    My last student had a paper permit from Kansas that Prime was ok with. I think the main thing is that if Missouri will accept it when you go to get your CDL.

6. MtnDweller

MtnDweller Light Load Member

I stand corrected.

The other half was told no paper copy when he went to orientation last October. So, that's what I was going by. Now, I know better. :yes2557:

7. MassHole

MassHole Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2010
    wareham, mass
    what exactly are you doing, going to prime for training and then getting your license? if thats the case then shouldnt you have a permit and then have a license for the state that you reside in? or are you planning on getting a license in MO and then changing it over to NJ. also if that is the case make sure you check that you can do that with your state, i know in mass if you have a out of state license and want to transfer it you have to retest over again

8. IronFreakinMaiden

IronFreakinMaiden Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2010
    All I'm doing is getting my permit here and then going to MO for CDL training so I can work for the company.

9. StSimeon

StSimeon Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Stanwood WA
    Orientation is easier if you already have your permit in hand. You can focus on other things while the others are "Cramming" for their exam.

I had my permit in hand when I went to Prime and was glad I did.

IronFreakinMaiden Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.