Would you accept this offer?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 24lizard, Nov 25, 2018.

1. 24lizard

24lizard Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2018
    100% fuel surcharges
    $20 per stop
    $75 layover
    $1.06cpm
    2200-3000 per week
    Elogs tags and everything else paid for.
    Is this reasonable and profitable?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    the thing is, will that be consistent . or will they be sitting for a week, at $75 a day.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    No, I would not.

Back of the envelope math is it costs at least 90 cpm to run the truck. With the fuel surcharge you would be grossing 1.5 to 1.6, leaving a "net" of 65 cpm. Out of that you have self employment taxes and health insurance. Then don't forget capital reinvestment . So basically you are making company driver money with o/o headaches.

6. 24lizard

24lizard Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Do you know any company that would allow me to use their authority or any owner op willing to land a trl out?

I was thinking about going with landstar but i need to get my hazmat endorsement and give them 25% of my profit i want to give that money to somebody whose wilking to help me get on the right track to success and let me negotiate my own loads on dat and so on.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get your hazmat endorsement, it is super simple to get.

However I am taking issue with this idea that LS takes 25% out of your profits, it isn't your profits they take the money out, it is their money and you get the a percentage of what they collect.

PPDCT, slav, Lepton1 and 6 others Thank this.
  8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Before you do any of that you need to know your operating cost and draw up a business plan. In the beginning, even the most rudimentary business plan will do. You can refine it as you progress. If you will be negotiating rates for yourself, you need to know what lanes pay what rates. One way to learn this is to sign on with a company that negotiates for you in exchange for a %.
    You also need good money management skills.

I thought landstarve was 65% with their trailer and 72(?) If you have your own wagon. Pretty steep.

misterG, stwik, stillwurkin and 2 others Thank this.
  9. 24lizard

24lizard Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2018
    My business strategies is to get a few college interns to run as freight brokers to ultimately cut down middle men for the past 3 years i been the slave of slaves everyone ate a big fat pie off my checks.

Im trying to escape the plantation Im not even black just so you know thats how bad things are.

I'm trying to get my own authority and trl and my ultimate goal was to invest into futures commodities to supply shippers with resourced based investment i day trade on the side to make extra money as I'm trying to leave this #### plantation

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Just to be clear: “Landstar would take 25% of (your) profit” (** which is actually NOT 25% of profit, it’s 25% of gross revenue) but meanwhile you considered running for the numbers in your first post, where the carrier takes 100% of the actual “profit” and pays a fixed mileage rate that’s very similar to actual operational costs on a scenario such as provided vs the 25% of gross that landstar takes?
    Just want to verify I read that correctly.

11. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Cart before the horse again

Lepton1 and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.