Would You Haul This?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by longhoodpete, Oct 13, 2013.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Piece of cake...I've hauled much worse looking loads.....and I was only 20 years old.,..

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Why is cross chaining better? Like scientifically or whatever.

4. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    It keeps the load from shifting side to side, but many times you don't have to do it that way depending how it's chained down.

Everyone had their own way.

5. ISXunlike

ISXunlike Bobtail Member

May 12, 2013
    Cortez, CO
    I guess I'm trying to figure out why I wouldn't haul it. It looks like an equipment load to me. So yeah, I'd haul it. Except I don't think it would fit in my hopper. Crap, I guess I wouldn't haul it.

ThatFlatbedGuy2013 Thanks this.
  6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Because by properly cross chaining, you are constraining the load both fore and aft and side to side. If only pulled to the side, there's little but frictional forces restraining fore and aft movement. Same for pulling front to back, minor side to side tension.

7. macavoy

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I'm a little inebriated right now, so I probably can't even ask the question properly.

But why is crossing your chains better than just pulling them tight side to side? I mean, going from this side to this side, you are still pulling in all 4 directions but crossing them, to me, means, more links, which means more potential weak points. Whereas binders and only a couple links, translates to fewer potential breaking points.

Is it really stronger to pull inside than outside? That is the only difference I see?

8. macavoy

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    This actually makes sense.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i'm curious as to the cross method vs. chains over the tracks side to side method.

i haven't seen many crosses hauling locally. i've seen a few just chained from the trailer to the track on same side. but most ran 4 chains over the tracks and secured that way. i'm guessing they used binders in between the tracks under the machine to tighten the chains. never saw binders on the outside of the machine.

10. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Richey Brothers says 36K on the loader. They are pretty close 99% of the time.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  11. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ

Better diagonal angle. The closer to horizontal you can get your chains, the less possible movement. Picture a chain being nearly straight up and down, is it possible for the load to move side to side a little bit? Now picture that chain pulling from the opposite side of the trailer with one pulling the opposite way... Not going anywhere is it? You are right about more links making more weak points but more angle requires less tension on your chains to hold the load still. I have seen guys with good angle on cross chains trying to put massive amounts of pull on a binder using a 3 foot cheater pipe, its not necessary. It probably is necessary to use a cheater pipe if you are pulling straight up and down (better chance of popping a chain even tho you are using less links).

That was my 3 glasses of Merlot explanation.

macavoy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.