Would you hook straps this way?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    This is from the Fontaine manual. I would not do it this way. I know they changed the regs where straps can go outside the rub rail but why?

Interestingly they also state the 6" channel side rail frame is not an attachment point and not to hook to it.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I've done that, only so the strap comes thru the rub rail and not the outside.

peterbilt_2005 Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Back when I ran skateboards I used the method depicted in the upper right picture. That way I could tuck some excess between the rail and the deck to help it stay put while I made my around to the other side to tighten it down.

5. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Yes that is what I would do if not hooking to frame rail. Same way as their pic but strap running up inside the rain instead of out.

Also I notice they only rate the strap attachment point at 5000b WLL. 3" straps are good for that. Why bother with 4" if this is the weakest link?

6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    If you have a used trailer most likely you won't be able to do that because the forklifts have hit it enough that it won't go through every where.

201 Thanks this.
  7. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I know that the methods shown are the way most people hook their straps (including me when I was pulling a flat). But that is not how they should be hooked. They should be ran between the rub rail and the bed and attached under the bed of the trailer. The rub rail is there to protect your straps from being cut if something comes into contact with your trailer. Not to mention the fact that the rub rail is the weakest part of the trailer. However, DOT doesn't say anything about it. And a lot of trailers don't really have any place to hook a strap other than the rub rail. Do what ya gotta do. I'm just pointing out that there are sometimes better ways (depending on your trailer) to hook straps.

8. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    No I wouldn't.
    I agree with @RustyBolt, rubrails are to protect your straps, not anchor points.
    Oh yeah, and BC will give you a ticket for that.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I too agree with rustybolt, the purpose of the rub rail is to protect the strap and other securement things. I sometimes get trucks loaded and ready to go when I arrive at a customers place, if they are setup outside the rub rail, I take all the straps off and do it right. Sometimes that will delay me 30 minutes or so but I do it right. Another reason is I seem to run into the same county cop who will cite anyone for this.

10. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I agree with you. Straps should be behind the rail and hooked under the trailer bed. But, I can tell you that some trailer manufacturers, Benson for one, says the edges of their trailers are not rated as securement points. That you should use the rub rail, or the chain tie downs only. I didn't like it, but it was what we were told to do at that company I worked for. For a time, all they had was Bensons. We even had a statement from Benson in our permit book that explained that their rubrail was the "engineered securement point" on their trailers.

11. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    That is what the fontaine manual says as well. The rub rail is welded to to the frame rail. I don't see how the rub rail could be a good securement point and the frame not since the rub rail is welded to the frame rail.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.