Would you pull an empty across I80 in Wyoming

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 40AcreMule, Apr 3, 2020.

1. 40AcreMule

40AcreMule Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2019
    KY
    I guess it is what it is. Make it a $300 toll road and let freight rates adjust.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Wyoming is a very dry state through most of the year. They would have to provide water to all those trees. And those water lines would have to be buried deep enough not to freeze in the winter. And burying stuff deep in large stretches of Wyoming isn't happening without ripping rock. While it might be technically possible, it's not going to happen.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In the east one state has "Do not pick" and threaten felony charges.

Out there they would not be able to have "Do not saw" in english that can be understood. =) //Rimshot.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    3000 dollar toll road. Ahem...

6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I dont think any species can survive that frickin place....

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Shhh. They have been talking about doing that for a couple years now.

8. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Take it for what it is worth... I learned this when I was a kid some 30yrs ago. At that time we pulled 96 wide , 13'6" tall slatside bullracks and always headed east empty after delivery. If for whatever reason, be it wind or speed, loaded or empty, if trailer starts to go over, ease into the johnny bar hard and mash the fuel to the floor. That is your best bet, last resort approach to a blow over. Works with other trailers too. Used it on the hwy50 overpass in Mcphereson Ks with spread reefer. They don't teach that in school and many trucks have no Jbar or the torque to make any difference. I can't exactly explain why it works but it does make a difference. I still opt to pull over and take a nap to wait it out ESPECIALLY WHEN DRIVING INTO A STORM but pull empty bullrack eastbound in 30 and 40 mph gusts alot. Fyi, most eastbound bullracks are empty in the central time zone. They do blow over from time to time. I drove off in the median intentionally to keep from blowing over when I drove head on into a storm empty. That was Norman Ok and tornados tore the town to pieces while I sat under an overpass in the median on I35.

x1Heavy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I can't place enough emphasis on what was posted in #47. Get your minds off of only being empty. Most OTR drivers that haul general freight have hauled loads that were VERY light, or only half loaded. I remember once taking only 6 pallets of General Mills products from Springfield Missouri to the Reno Walmart DC. It is CRITICAL you know what to expect BEFORE you get there. Parking won't help you if you are parking in the wind. I remember having to sit at a Truck Stop in Nebraska waiting on my safety dept to release me to go on west. In this case, my destination was Rawlings so I had no choice to go around. I then had to deadhead all the way to Ogden empty. Trucks and RVs can blow over sitting in Truck Stops. I once saw a UPS van on its side in Lordsburg. I was at gross and the wind that day was hitting me so hard that afterward both my arms ached.

x1Heavy, Farmerbob1 and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If it's blowing hard enough they will put up the light load restriction.

If it's not, then you're ok.

Run across there all the time lightly loaded.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  11. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    I have and would do it again no pain no gain

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.