would you recommend Phoenix or Gary for training?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Russjac, May 5, 2012.

1. Last_over_hill

Last_over_hill Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Yea they told me that too only to send me to Salt Lake City when I had only 2 months experience. I know this will sound strange but I would like to go thru the dessert at least once...as long it is after my AC gets fixed. Where you go in the west? Do you run Vans?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    If you live in Vegas...why would you even want to get your orientation in Gary?

Phoenix will put you with a trainer that is most likely from the west....better for the hometime issue and when you go solo they can get you through your house easier to get all the "little things" you want for your truck.

4. Russjac

Russjac Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Nothing strange about it, seeing all this great country is one of the main reasons I want to go into this.

5. Russjac

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Never said I wanted it, said that was what was offered. Though my recruiter seems to want me to go to Gary.
    As for the hometime, I was just trying to be amusing.

6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Recruiter just wants you "checked in" the sooner the better....so you don't have any extra time on your hands to "think it through and change your mind".

Sounds like the Phoenix "in charge guy" possibly could have a better overall program to offer.....you said you heard some complaints about securement issues....you got one good response about Phoenix.

Russjac Thanks this.
  7. Russjac

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    yeah, I am leaning heavily towards Phoenix, plus gives me an extra week to get my loose ends tightened.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  8. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY

I pull a flat, usually go to Washington, Oregon, last trip was out to a Solar electric plant in the Mojave and then off to San Marcos CA.

9. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Phoenix will also net you a smaller orientation class. I think they only do 2 at a time out there.

Russjac Thanks this.
  10. Moriarti

Moriarti Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    NW Indiana
    Securement training *is* lacking, but if we were going to teach people everything they need to know, Everyone would be a student until they were a trainer. I think load securement nowadays is some pictures of what not to do, they give you a picture book, and say "make it look like something in this" any questions, call your FM, when you get tired of waiting on hold, call The trainer you were with and did three loads with that look nothing like the ones you end up staring at. Also, I'd vote on going to phoenix for orientation, simply because, either place you go, there's a chance that you won't have a trainer available after orientation, and you'll have to wait a few days. that becomes a lot easier to handle if you can go home yourself. at gary, you'll be trapped in a hotel trying to figure out how to get to the yard on a sunday afternoon.

Russjac Thanks this.
  11. -LLL-

-LLL- Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Oracle,AZ
    . If you are out of Phoenix Term. you will probably do the Rockies your first time out with trainer and every load after rhat. Except for the Phx- LA - Phx run. That was my exprience. Also I think Phx. has good instructors. I went to Gary because Phx. was not going then. Great inst. there too as I had Kory and Bear,..v

Russjac Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.