Written up for refusing to drive tired

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Stayfrosty, Mar 30, 2023.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    @Stayfrosty If I were you I would ask for a new dispatcher / driver manager. This guy is going to try to manipulate you into working when you're tired. And him saying that you can't be tired because you had some early days earlier this week is pure BS.

hope not dumb twucker and mjd4277 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Hauling crush cars & dump trailers as well in PA Screenshot_20230331_055849_Message+.jpg

RockinChair Thanks this.
  4. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    I wonder if thats their power only division?

5. Stayfrosty

Stayfrosty Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2023
    No, past 8 weeks ive worked 10 to 14 every day no problem. Doesn't bother me. Only early days I have had were there fault and no negative reviews or complaints. I have even helped them several times. In my post and what I told them was I was already tired and would be even more tired, both being unsafe to drive 90k lbs tired. Idc who you are eventually you're gonna have an off day, I'm not a robot.

Opus Thanks this.
  6. Stayfrosty

Stayfrosty Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2023
    Update to anyone who may be Interested, I got the write up this morning and it left out entirely that I said I was tired. All it says was "driver deadhead to yard unapproved and refused a load" shortened of course but that's all it said, no supporting facts or evidence just that I refused. So I wrote my side on it along with "my signature does not indicate any for of agreement, only that I received this" also it was escalated to a final when I have never had any action against me.

Few hours later Mr man calls me and says yeah regarding whatever you put on that write up you can safely and legally work 11 to 14 each day to which my response was "and who decides that, you or me?" He literally said "I don't know but it's safe and legal to work 11 to 14"
    "OK while I agree that to be true, it's not safe or legal when I deem myself too tired or otherwise ill to safely operate the truck"

He then just continues on like that and calls me a smart elleck, and know it all before hanging up on me.

Briefly after this I decide yeah ims make a complaint to safety, so I do. He gets the alert and calls me fuming. A little more berating and calling me immature He says since I don't want to work how I'm supposed to now I have to park at the other yard, which is 40 minutes from where I usually park and dispatch and also much further from my house, the reason I am dispatched out this specific yard. To which I ask him, is this solely based on the events of yesterday and today? And he says yes. So now my parking location and tract is changing on immediately after I called safety. Yeah that's not retaliation. . And I just got a call not to go back to the mill, I'm done for the day. When asked why they just said I am and to come to the other lot Monday. So get mad I don't work 14 then send me home after 6. Makes sense.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Now you know who is in charge.
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong.

May be the new yard has a shift more accommodating to their needs. Not necessarily yours.

Good luck

8. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Run. Quit as soon as you can.
    I am actually surprised how many weak and cowardly drivers are on this board. They tell you to suck it up and drive even though you are hitting your wall, somehow that's proper in their minds. But berate you for having the guts to stand up for yourself. These simps are the problem with this industry as they will do whatever it takes to keep their noses brown and moist and be told what good boys they are. If you had run it and fell asleep they'd be the first ones saying how you are the captain and should of shut it down. I tend to run hard. I use every trick I can to get as much work as I can done. But experienced drivers learn to know their limits and when they are reaching their "wall". Then they shut it down just before they hit it. You did the right thing. Now start looking for a new job ASAP. You're marked and will unlikely succeed at this company unless you get a good pair of knee pads.

9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Move on.....you're done.
    You did the right thing, but you’re paying the price.
    These folks are done with you, you should be done with them first.
    Good luck and happy trails.

Coffey and scott180 Thank this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  11. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    It's called COVER YOUR ARSE!!

In early '18, I quit OTR and went to a couple Driver Services (1 day to whatever employment) and was NEVER CONCERNED about being Pushed, Rushed, Treated Like Shoe Goo.
    I NEVER let ANY company when I was rolling OTR as well LOCAL, tell me "when I was going to or not to drive"!! It was their equipment, BUT
    IT WAS MY LIFE!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.