WS orientation

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by blfan2002, Sep 6, 2012.

1. blfan2002

blfan2002 Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I have a question and if it sounds like a stupid question then my bad. But is WS orientation and all other trucking orientations like job interviews because I know I'll pass the drug tests because I don't do drugs and for the physical Im physically fit. But what I mean is like a job for lets say a burger place somewhere if the guy next to me has better credentials than me or something like that then would he get the job and I get sent home? Oh and my other question is orientation like other jobs when you have 30 people at this orientation but they only have openings for 3 drivers and they pick from those there? Or by being at orientation pretty much means you have the Job? Once again sorry if the question sounds dumb.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justsayin

justsayin Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2012
    I think you got the job.my friend.

blfan2002 Thanks this.
  4. blfan2002

blfan2002 Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I'm asking because I keep hearing people say orientation is a job interview. Or I hear don't be late to orientation because its like a job interview or anything about anything because its like a job interview.

5. justsayin

justsayin Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2012
    From my experience,every orientation I have participated in has resulted in employment.I take it you have already been sampled for the drug test,interviewed for the job,completed a road test without killing anybody, and produced the requisite documentation. Orientation usually immediately precedes truck assignment and initial dispatch,if you pass all their little quizzes.

blfan2002 Thanks this.
  6. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    I actually just got done with day 3 of orientation. Exactly what i've been expecting.

-Get to the terminal day one; check your paperwork, drug tests and pretty much listen to a lecture about W S and be briefed on what they expect of you.
    -On day two we did the physical test (not hard at all), drove for about an hour each (freeway and city), and listened to more lecture about shifting and driving in general.
    -Today, day three, we listed to lecture and watched powerpoint presentations regarding winter driving. After that we did a small trip planning exercise driving from one place to another (roughly 2k miles)

Overall a great experience, imo.
    Like the other guy said, W S pretty much needs drivers (so i've heard) so unless you hit curbs, suck at shifting, utterly fail at log books or kill someone, the job is yours.

good luck.

blfan2002 and 2021DREAM Thank this.
  7. wetblacklab

wetblacklab Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2012
    ft Lupton, Colorado
    Yes the 10 days orientation is a job interview. My dh went to orientation around July 21st and I believe two guys couldn't drive the mountain (after more then one try) and they were sent home. But everyone else did great and had the job! If you meet their expectations you'll have a job! I resesearched so many companies and ws was the best I found for my hubby. Sadly, (only because I think ws is such a great starter company) hubby found a local job on his first hometime and left ws :( but you will do great and good luck!

2021DREAM Thanks this.
  8. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    wetblacklab is correct. It is a 10 day "interview". While there, they are watching how you conduct yourself at all times. If you can do the classwork and the road tests (there are 3, city driving, tight maneuvering, and mountain) they will hand you the keys to a truck on day 10. But beware though, they sent one of the 3 from my class home on day 4 (I think it was 4) after the tight maneuvering driving because he couldn't double clutch right. I'll probably be there if I pass the physical again since I left the company in 2011 and found the grass was NOT greener outside the driver's seat...

2021DREAM Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.