wuts it like working for OD

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by ACH1130, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    at my current place they dont have any hours for me. a transfer was rejectet, and they hired two ppl while i was still in training. now that its done i havent had a run and they keep jus callin me in for outbound help or some other things, i applied for a driver, not a cheap part-time laborer

my fathers friends works at OD(not sure which one its probly in longisland) and can get me in to a terminal. but i wanna no a few things before i apply

1. do drivers have to work the dock always(not a big deal)
    2.is there a flex board where u call in but may not work everyday
    3. wut is it like doing linehaul, drop n hook or like my place where drivers work dock.

if i think of n e more question i will post

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KEN GUNTER

KEN GUNTER Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2011
    cosby, tn
    having worked for od nine years the people or good the money is great and over all you would be hard press to do better. i will tale you is one little wrong thing and your looking for a new job! good luck.

4. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    rele doesnt answer my question

5. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I'll tell you what my Buddy who works there told me, but this may vary Barn to Barn.
    1.The only time He had to work the Dock was when He was going through their training to get his CDL.
    2.He is on a flex board. On call 24/7. The only days he doesnt work is when He is out of hours. Talking to him yesterday, He hasn't had a day off in 2 weeks and He is working his full 70. He has been on the Board 1 full year now and has been told it will take him another 2 years to get a bid. But he is making very good money, but is exhausted every single day and can't enjoy any life at all. He has to be able to report to work in 2 hours at any given time.
    3.His Line haul is different every night. He may do a turn an burn with another driver or He may get sent on a 1 way trip with a sleep over at the end and then a return run coming back(if he is lucky) and every yard is different. Some yards you have to break your set and put them away and others you just drop them and the yard dog takes care of it.

6. Tricky Rick

Tricky Rick Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    scythe08 is pretty much on the money. I would like to add that the smaller terminals are usually where you have to work the dock. Larger ones, we get a hook card after the trailers are closed and sealed. We never touch any freight. The "extra" board usually does 5 or 6 runs (500-600 miles) before they run out of hours. Then they have to do the 34 hour restart. You have 10 hours off, after your run, then 2 hours to return after you get a call from dispatch. Overnight "Bag trips" are fairly common. You stay in a decent motel near the terminal. Plan on being on the extra board 1-4 years. You don't have much of a life, but the money is good. $55,000 plus the first year. Many runs, you are home most days/night to at least sleep in your own bed. Some make a lot more depending on how much you want to run. The miles are there. Equipment is well maintained, mostly single axle day cab Cascadias and Columbias. People there are professional, friendly, helpful, safety oriented, imho. I have been there 4 years this week. Finally got a "bid run" last month. They don't bother you as long as you do your job. Most yards you drop your rear pup on the pad, and put your dolly up, and park your lead at a door, or on the yard. Overall, an excellent company. Your mileage may vary. Good luck to you.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  7. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Sounds like how it was when I worked for Watkins in 1999 (before Fed-ex bought them) They ran me out of hours every week! Drove 7 days and on day 9 were back for home time which was 48 hours. I mean 48 hours from when you clocked in from getting back to the terminal. They would run you hard. It was a great company though. I don't know how Fed-ex National does things but I sure liked how Watkins was.

8. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    thx for the info everyone, and yea that sounds very rough, i dont think i could do that since i do a lot of different things when im off. Con-way screwed me like that when i was in the apprentice program which to this day i still dont think i needed it due to the fact i had my CDL A with all endorsements and i was able to drive and back up a lot better than the senoir guys, even wen i went out driving P/D with other drivers they asked me y r u even in this class. even the one trainer took me out and i was the last he had durin our final week he went to the boss and said "hes fine to go out, i cant find n e thing to bark at him and fix, the others need some work which can b done this week but hes good to go" That apprentice program consisted me starting dock work at 7am-11am then class 11-3 then dock outbound 5-9 every day, and at time id tell them i dont wanna work the night every night due to the fact i do have a life, i lost a lot during that time, but the one that mattered, she is still with me today.

I ended up quitting CWF because i was annoyed with the flex board, and was losing a lot of money cuz i couldnt work n e of my other jobs since theyd tell me ur working today later on but would never call me or jus have me do dock work for 2-3 hours. also my boss would wait till 45 min before callin me to come at 5 and id tell him i cant, and he basically threatened me and i just never went back. I shouldve reported him since CWF is so big on their harassment, but didnt since i was leaving n e ways and i am better than that.

I havent had much success finding another full-time job yet but im making it through working it at a local restaurant and occassionly working for my friend who owns 6 fedex trucks in which i no three routes(since i used to work 2 of them when i worked there full-time and before he got to take over them, and he trained me on another since no one can drive a stick). Ive applied many places, some have gotten back just waiting for an interview.

9. FEELTHEWHEEL

FEELTHEWHEEL Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    EL Cajon C.A.
    The Pay was good, the rest is up to you, keep your nose clean and mouth shut you'll do good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.