WV off I77 need CDL

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by WVRose, Feb 5, 2018.

1. WVRose

WVRose Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    WV
    I'm interested in getting my CDLS. I live in West Virginia right off of interstate 77. I'm not sure which companies to look at, which offer a cdl certification school. I know to avoid CR England and Swift.
    I'm interested in Millis Transfer and Schneider. Also, the oil and gas industry is Alive and Well in this area, so I'm interested in getting my Hazmat and tanker enforcement.
    I'm a girtl,, however, I've worked at factories and can hold my own. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Give em a call. You can do it.
    The road is a solitary life... so if you must have people clamoring all over you constantly making you feel important, you'll be in for a shock.

You will start low on the totem pole.
    Low money.. maybe paying back tuition, or working off a contract for a set amount of time for "free" training.

You'll be gone from home. GONE.
    You'll miss your mom's birthday because a load planner couldn't care less.
    If you have a boyfriend.. or whatever.. tell em bye. They'll not put up with someone being gone 4-8 weeks at a time only to come home for 3 days and gone again.
    If you make it past a year and are a good , safe operator, that produces and makes appointments without service failures you have the Golden Ticket.
    Job opps abound.
    You'll make better money each year.
    You can probably move towards a regional or even local position without too much of a pay cut.

It's not the glamour of the old movies.
    It's lonely.. it's dangerous.. it's tough work.. it's stressful.
    It's rewarding.

You've gotta WANT to do this long term.
    People wash out like leaves in a stream.
    It's all up to you.

swaggerjacker and WVRose Thank this.
  4. WVRose

WVRose Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    WV
    I realize I will be the low man on the totem pole for a while, probably more than a year. I'm willing to move out of this area, but would prefer to stay if I can. Do you know of any other company's that will hire out of my area?

5. jammer910Z

May 28, 2015
    We have a resident new driver/ companies that train expert...
    @Chinatown
    Perhaps he will weigh in witg opportunities in your WV area.

Give him just a bit of time to find this since I tagged him.
    He's extremely knowledgeable.

WVRose Thanks this.
  6. WVRose

WVRose Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    WV
    Thank you so much!

Thank you for your response. I do realize I will be away from home for the majority of my time & I have given this decision a lot of thought. I'm trying to find the best company for me because I'd like to stay with one for a while if I can.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Millis Transfer is a good choice; they run eastern half of the USA.
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com is a good choice; they run 48 states. Hair follicle drug test.
    Jim Palmer Trucking - 48 states
    Wil-Trans - eastern half of USA. Wil-Trans owns Jim Palmer trucking, but they're 2 seperate companies.
    Roehl Transport - various divisions to choose from. I'd go with "National Van Fleet" if it were me. Hair follicle drug test. Pays $500 weekly while in classroom training, then bump up to driver pay after graduation.
    Schneider Bulk is good - tanker division of Schneider. Hair follicle drug test.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com information.

Company-paid Tuition
    With a 12-month commitment to drive for CFI, qualified students can now receive fully paid tuition to attend driving school in Missouri. We’ll even cover your room and board for the duration of the four-week course.
    CFI is proud to support female truck drivers.
    One of our very own female drivers, Stephanie Klang, was named as an ATA’s America’s Road Team Captain. Stephanie surpassed an incredible milestone of driving over three million safe miles!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not pushing CFI here, even though they do have a good reputation, just giving an example of how most trucking company schools operate. They all will pay for transportation to their school and provide lodging and meals.

WVRose and jammer910Z Thank this.
  8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    abilenemotor.com.
    they have a terminal in Wytheville VA and they train.

how far up 77 are you?

or maybe talk to some of the companies running the oil fields.

WVRose and jammer910Z Thank this.
  9. jammer910Z

May 28, 2015
    There ya go, @WVRose !!
    CT never lets us down... and @Numb with the Wytheville local training keeps you within your close confines.

There will likely be more to come since drivers are finishing up their days and perusing the web.

Do NOT give out specifics... but what is your general locale.. so someone may know if a closer training option to your hometown??
    Charleston??

WVRose Thanks this.
  10. WVRose

WVRose Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    WV
    Right on I77 as it crosses into Ohio. About an hour North of Charleston. Thank you for replying.
    Any drug screen will come back clean. I use to use cbd oil until I read that certain ones could make you fail a dot urine test and I stopped. I'm slightly worried that the cold medicine I took for a week for the flu in December could make me fail a hair follicle. I don't do drugs or smoke.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  11. jammer910Z

May 28, 2015
    From there, you may be better suited in a school around Canton or Columbus.
    There will be plenty.
    Do a Google search for free truck driver training Southern Ohio.
    See what pops up

WVRose Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.