X-15 Cummins thread

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by KB3MMX, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Bdeets

Bdeets Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I wouldn't recommend the efficiency series. This one a 2019 has a persistent problem with low power and a miss that causes the computer to cut power under boost above 22 lb. 9 visits back to the dealers shop, wasted time,wasted money.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    My performance 525/1850 seemed to have little power when I first got it. Now I have 32k on the OD and she seems to be getting stronger.

KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    What's it in?
    Did you set all the parameters with the dealer when you bought it?

Computer malfunctions aren't really the motors fault though..

I've been hearing lots of good reviews from guys on the road running both the efficiency series and performance series. A pretty even mix too... Most of the performance is in hood trucks and most of the efficiency are in aero ones it seems.

what has been really impressive is the fuel economy of the efficiency series in the hood trucks when I run into someone with one

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. Hustler Logistics

Hustler Logistics Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I'm driving a 2018 W860 Volvo 13 speed with the X15 performance in it. 145968.6 miles on it. I have been driving roughly about 17 years my 1st truck I ever had was an old B model Mack We used hauling gravel when I was a Kid. Out of all the engines I have driven in the Nineties I enjoyed the C15. But to be honest we have went through a lot of junk until now I really like this X15 performance motor. I'm a produce hauler so I almost Max out 80k Every load and Keep this motor roaring I get about 5.6 miles per gallon My average because of idling so long at truck stops and receivers in shippers that's just the nature of being a produce hauler. I don't have AAPU on the struck although I probably should get one but so far this has been 1 of the most reliable engines I have driven in a long time so if you want to ask me about the performance engine I think it is great I don't know about the efficiency engine so I've heard they have been quite problematic and that is unfortunate. I think that Cummins has finally hit the head of the nail with this motor So far it has performed better than I expected especially after the fuel pump issues with the ISX. The motors I have driven have been the Detroit 92 silver Detroit 60 series all Volvo Mercedes the big cam Cummins Non Turbo and Turbo for that matter and N14. Every cat engine you can think of And even that little Mercedes that they pushed out for a while. I have been doing this a long time but I feel like right now that the X15 is the best performing engine on the market as of today. We have been needing reliability for quite some time ever since the C15 has left the market and the older 60 series. I can finally say it is nice to have a breath of fresh air not having to worry about something stupid like we've been doing in the past but with that being said only time will tell me more about this engine but so far it has done everything I have wanted just like the old C15 done.

stwik, BigHossVolvo, KB3MMX and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Blkcowboy

Blkcowboy Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Lmao kid where I at I need some entertainment

6. Blkcowboy

Blkcowboy Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Lol

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread so far.

Thank you !

Dave_in_AZ, JonJon78, jake744 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

Got the same sound going on, like a faint fog horn. It's kind of annoying but what ya going to do.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Sounds like your hearing VGT move to increase pressure when it's idling.

I guess that's kind of the sound you could say my ISX makes when it does it's thing.

I hear other ISX's make the same sound.

It's not constant.

Rockdoctor and KB3MMX Thank this.
  10. Camstyn

Camstyn Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Agassiz, BC
    Anyone have issues with weak jake performance? Mine is seriously weak, as in reminds me of a 3406E. It's a 389 with 565/2050 turned down to 485/1850.

Otherwise it runs great, and fuel mileage is great, consistently 6.5mpg pulling very light loads. Because of the light duty this truck does the weak jake isn't a huge issue but I kept hearing how incredibly strong it's supposed to be, so something isn't right.

I spoke to the dealer about it, they said there have been some other cases of this and they're not sure what the fix is. With one (a 500 Efficiency series) Cummins told them to replace the turbo, and it made no improvement. They then did a software update, and they have not heard back from the customer since (it's been a couple weeks) so they don't know if it's resolved or not.

They did the software update on mine and bobtailing it home, it doesn't really feel any stronger than before so I don't think it's fixed. Anyone else dealt with this or know what the fix is?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.