Xanax....??

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by acw, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    also late to the thread:

Tell your doctor that you will be doing a lot of driving and ask for alternative medications.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    First off this board is not the place to make your decision on whether or not you should be taking prescriibed medication. That is your company's decision along with the doctor. That is if you really need the meds. Don't get me wrong this board is full of advice but when it comes to medication that will be in your system you'll need the support of the Medical Review Officer from your Company. He needs to be in the loop or you might have some really bad things happen.

I've said many times that I'm the type of driver that looks at what if it did happen. Say you're involved in an accident at no fault of yours and there's death. You'll be required to take the urine test and your will come back positive. Even if the accident was NO fault of yours guess what? Now all the lawyers trying to make big bucks will shift their attack to making YOU the cause of the accident. And really you have no leg to stand on. Your company right away will say we didn't know. I suggest that you read the FMCSR right at the beginning it has 166 pages on drug and alcohol testing and responsibilities.

The way I look at it you have two choices here. One would be not to take any of those meds, or get a letter from your doctor that it's ok to drive and your company is fully aware of your situation. If you don't have those you're just plain asking for trouble or even worse jail time. Since you posted a few months ago I hope that new drivers might see this and realize that it's no game with medication in your system just in case something does happen.

You don't need to worry about informing the test collector because that's not how it works. If you have a positive test it's sent to your company and your comany's MRO is required to find out why it was there. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you react if you were the MRO? Like I said you have two choices and only two. And that's either stop taking it or go through many hours explaining what you're doing and getting a letter from the doctor that it's ok. And in my opinion that's almost impossible. No doctor is going to risk his career because he'll be dragged into court also. Just think about it.

4. leanright

leanright Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    phila,pa.
    Xanax and driving don't mix ! Wait till your in a horizontal position in the bunk to down the sleep candy. I know a girl who took a few and about 2 minutes later she was out like a light. Well she was a nutcase anyway but point being .... they are sleeping pills.

5. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    They are not sleeping pills. Xanax is a Central nervous system depressant. It is a benzodiazepines. It used mostly for panic disorders and treating anxiety from depression. It will depress the body, i.e. meaning the heart rate can slow, the blood pressure will slow and if abused or not taken in the manner prescribed can definately impair a persons ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. If someone is taking another CNS depressant (alcohol, other benzodiazepines) it will increase the effects.
    Xanax overdose symptoms may include extreme drowsiness, confusion, muscle weakness, loss of balance or coordination, feeling light-headed, fainting, or coma. I have seen numerous individuals driving motor vehicles that had either overdosed on this or used it in combination with other pills, which enhanced their effects.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/xanax.html#ixzz12rpAoZZN

6. target_driver

target_driver Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Iowa
    i was told by my manager after repeatedly asking for clarification on taking chantix whether or not if i would fail a UA. He got with the safety dept and called me right away to NOT take it as i can not be dispatched while on it. funny thing was i got my 1st "random" 2 days later. which dint bother me at all cuz i knew i was clean and told my boss i would not start taking it until i had confirmation from him.

7. deviltalk

deviltalk Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't mean to wake a year old post. I have a script for Xanex and take it as need. Obviously I never drive on it.

My concern is that this is a drug which stays in your system for 7-10 days...

I'm in school now... My recruiter was concerned at first but then seemed to back off stating I'd be fine....

I will likely end up with Swift or Werner to get my rookie time in... Does anyone know their policies?

8. Infrared61ranger

Infrared61ranger Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    killeen,tx
    sleep disorder your not gonna get a driving job without alot of red tape and companies are not gonna fork out alot of money on a new guy that doesnt have his insurance yet with the company. sorry

9. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    a 5 panel dot drug screen doesnt test for it anyhow. Kinda seems like they turned their back to it.

10. deviltalk

deviltalk Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Is 5 panel the standard test used? I drove a taxi a few months back and I guess they did the hardcore screen and the Xanax came up. Once the prescription was verified I was fine.

Per the recruiters of a couple trucking companies they don't mind that you take it, provided a dr. will verify that taking it off duty (and only off duty) will not hinder your ability on duty.

I'd like to be as up front as possible going in. I see my Dr. on the 4th. I can't imagine him saying that taking 1mg of xanax will impair my ability to drive 10+ hours after it was taken... Though I can also see him being in a nothing to gain and everything to lose position...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.