Xanex

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rains83, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Rains83

Rains83 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I have a prescription for Xanax. My question is this. First off I understand fully that taking Xanax whether prescription or not is unacceptable while driving on the road as it effects your ability to drive.

My concern is this, I take it for legitimate reasons but I'm almost certain that all trucking companies with not hire anyone that uses Xanax for prescription purposes for fear of them falling asleep on the road.

My need for it is legitimate but I don't mind quitting for the sake of a job. However it will show up in my hair test. That means that I will have to tell them I take it legally but don't mind quitting.

Will this cause a problem for me getting a job even though I'm willing to and will have no problem stopping?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    I have been prescribed Xanax for the last 3 yrs, and take at least 1 a day, but NEVER any while behind the wheel. I've never failed a random drug screen or DOT physical.

4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Do you think your doc would write a letter saying you can go without it?

5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Middletown. I grew up in Hamilton.

6. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Just don't know how many companies will be willing to take somebody on who uses that with these side effects. Law suit waiting to happen.

• depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself, unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger;
    • confusion, hyperactivity, agitation, hostility, hallucinations;
    • feeling like you might pass out;
    • urinating less than usual or not at all;
    • chest pain, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    • uncontrolled muscle movements, tremor, seizure (convulsions); or
    • jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
    Less serious side effects of alprazolam may include:

• drowsiness, dizziness, feeling tired or irritable;
    • blurred vision, headache, memory problems, trouble concentrating;
    • sleep problems (insomnia);
    • swelling in your hands or feet;
    • muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination, slurred speech;
    • upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea;
    • increased sweating, dry mouth, stuffy nose; or
    • appetite or weight changes, loss of interest in sex.

7. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    I think a nice cup of tea would be alot better for you... if you think why I say tea.. is because tea has been used in history to treat "Shell Shock" in both WW1 and WW2 and in every war after that... and it works great if you are stressed out too....

Tea is a lot better then them side affects...

And besides you never know what is in them meds any ways... and what they will do to you... everyone is different and can have very different effects on different people.

8. bubbanbrenda

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Thats kind of funny ALL of the so called "side effects" are the exact symptoms that prompted my doctor to prescribe it in the first place, these are NOT truely side effects, but symptoms of someone over/self medicating. I'm not looking for an argument here just answering the OP's question as it applied to ME and ME alone, but as long as we listing the "possible" side effects you forgot anal leakage and(my personal favorite) perpetual erection. ANY time you get behind the wheel of any comercial vehicle its a "law suit waiting to happen".

kirk Thanks this.
  9. bubbanbrenda

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    I'm sorry LOL. If you grew up in Hamiltucky you have got to have a sense of humor.( Or maybe couple of warrents LOL) Sorry, I can't help myself maybe I should take another xanax. But seriously my Dr. will write a letter IF it ever becomes a problem. IC ALPRAZOLAM is not on the DOT hitlist yet,in a pre-hire/random test, BUT in the event of a post accident drug test they look for everything and anything. Back when Claratin-D was a presciption only drug a guy I worked with was rear ended by a drunk while sitting at a red light, his post accident drug test showed the decongestant(that they make meth out of) in his system, lost his job and licence, took nine months and 4 court apperances by his Dr. to get his licence back, and never got his job back. Also his DAC report still says reason for termination "drug-test failure".

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  10. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Tea contains caffeine, a stimulant, producing the opposite of the desired effect for which one takes Xanax..

11. Sheriff1/6

Sheriff1/6 Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I don't know enough about the trucking industry to know whether or not you can get a job taking Xanax. If you happen to get stopped for a driving violation, and the officer looks at your pupils, you may get run through sobriety tests. Should you happen to fail the tests, they will get a urine sample and you will fail. The fact that it is prescribed isn't a defense. As long as you don't show any signs of impairment you should be ok. A crash my be a different story. Whether it's your fault or not an attorney will argue the crash wouldn't have happened had you not been taking Xanax. It's not right, just the way things are.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.