yard jockey

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by daylight76, Sep 9, 2019.

1. daylight76

daylight76 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    how to did you become a yard jockey? what are your hrs like? what are your pros and cons? and whats your weekly checks look like

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Check your local new papers help wanted section. Pay can vary from mid teen’s to high 20’s per hour. Hours depend on the warehouse you sign on with. Could be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I actually think it would be a nice gig, if you could afford the pay cut when considering other sectors of the trucking world.

40 - 50 hours per week, on a somewhat normal schedule probably. I'm sure it's hard work no doubt, but if I had a house paid for it might be something I'll do one day if I ever get a family for myself and can afford it.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the dunkin donuts d/c center up here in MA, had 3 shifts. the way it worked was they hired you for the yard, got time backing trailers, and then offered a job driving the trucks. any yardman not wanting to drive trucks, become the yard boss, and assigned the shift you'd work on, and he'd pick the "sweet shift" for himself.

i know, i applied there years ago.

check with companies like, Lily Transportation, RUAN, Ryder Logistics, Penske Logistics, Hermann (??) and some driver-leasing companies, as these are the places that put you in an account that they have.

you can also try any large warehouse, or even LTL companies near you, as they do have yard jockeys, and also try UPS Freight, FedEx.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Long time ago, a older yard jockey asked if I wanted his job. He was considering getting out soon. Its that simple. Two stick short mack of some vintage running back and forth with loaded flatbeds of shingle etc from Tamko all day.

I declined. Eventually made a name for myself in precision arrivals at 8 am near Altoona-Fishertown on winter ice to a store that took in all sorts of lumber. The situation with that company did not last due to suits trying to foster a culture closer to the Governors Mansion than a trucking company. You cannot live a lie just by wearing expensive clothes and ignore the fact that its 109 outside.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  7. Josh46

Josh46 Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Look up Lazer spot ... in you area .. the
    Look up lazer spot in your area .. I spotted for publix I was making 23hr .. also did it at AAA cooper part time.. they pay 20hr you get good hours there and you don't need CDL..

8. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    How many hours per week were you getting at Publix and what was the schedule?

What did the work consist of and were you moving all the time?

I usually see yard jockies with at least some down time at most facilities I go to.

9. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @VIDEODROME should be able to add some insight with his experience as a yard jockey.

Texas_hwy_287 and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did put in a short time as a yard jockey in charge of 25 trailers first docking them at the factory (Production building) three docks there with a ford 9000 updated 2006 model which was that year we did the work. And all trailers in number order went half a mile down the street to a secured shipping facility building in the same company.

After I found that I could dock a 53 with no trouble down to about a inch I proceeded with the workday.

That production is locked up, rusting and surrounded by razor wire, rolls of it. A 5 year old tree grows in "My docks" and the shipping building has had 3 rings of razor fence built around and welded shut. It quietly rusts to this day. Leaving about 210 people out of work.

Also Dowdy in Batesville when loading copper at a Buffalo NY Foundry for Remington in Lonoke, would have me function as a yard jockey there preloading a collection of our company trailers so the others don't way so long. That one was with my FLD120 sleeper truck with logs into the bunk, 24/7 for 3 days with short naps. Got em all last I heard before leaving, no complaints.

11. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Its hard on the body try climbing in your truck 150 times a shift.

Its hard on the wallet your making 40k a year if your lucky.

I gross 1100 for 50 hours , I work 5 10s and stay on nights no swing shift.

Try standing outside at night for 12 hours in the rain soaking wet or minus 51 degrees polar vortex were its so cold it hurts to breathe. most spotters are junk even when there new , so very little heat and a.c..

Yeah a lot of drivers talk the talk and those either last 2 days or never even show up , if your not getting paid at least 20 with ot after 40 its a waist of time , avoid 3rd party spotting outfits go for the private carrier., like I did BTW Lazer does not pay ot last I heard 20190808_011215.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: Add to post
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.